SR 100gal Muli-tiered Sandbed Experiment (Born 9-1-09)

Modernreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank build thread from the beginning, to show tank progression to current status (last page).

I wanted to try something a little different with this Build. Ive had my personal tank for a while, over 15 years in the same exact 55 gal tank, all my Fiji rock shoe horned in to the tank, not allot of open space at all. I wanted to try a "tri level" setup. I had done a 2 level setup on the sandy front left of the 210 at before. This 2 level sand was formed by a Live rock ridge, with high to top sand on one side, and low sand on the other, kinda like a dam... in a arc. It was decorated with zoas, and such, and lookes really colorful. It was prime realistate for gobies, blennies, and other animals to make their home, in fact they often fought over this area. I believe it was because it was easy to dig in and make a nice protected home. It also put the fish that are small right out in plain sight for perfect viewing.

So the idea was to build a "stepped" type sand /rock structure. The Idea was to have a "tray" to hold sand supported somehow, with a wide open cave below the tray. There is an opening on the front right, and back left of the "tray" area (cave is shown in light grey) sand is pending "black" sand, but that may change. I also figured id look at some reef pictures, and some fresh planted tanks for ideas.

I was able to mock up the rockwork in a 3D model. Now remember... this is a mockup, the purple stones, are suppose to represent live rock, but there shaped like round pond style rocks for the mockup. This is a first idea version, so it will look different due to rock shapes and such, and the volume of rock I actually have too. It will also have allot of plants, and be completely devoid of "tangs".

This system will also not have any sand deeper than 3.5 inches max anywhere but will be slightly built up on the back sides of the left side "high side" ledge.

Here is my initial 3D Mock up:

tankcomp-a.jpg

slightly diff angle, showing the 3 possible "chill spots" for the smaller inhabitants, highlighted by yellow light

tankcomp-b.jpg

Thoes green sticks are actualy Seagrass, I plan also to have a few mangroves on the level 3, so they can crest the water surface eventually. I havent got all the livestock areas planned out yet, but I did want to "semi" mock up the tank, so i can figure out how im going to do the shelf on the right with the sand "ON TOP" of it.

All the 3d model was for is to figure out the "Direction" and to get the shelf area "defined". It may come out very different, but thats the direction.

Ill try to explain it a little better as the idea develops.

Any comments are GREATLY appreciated

EQUIPMENT Since 9-1-09:
NAC-7 Bubble Magus Skimmer
BM-T01 Bubble Magus 3 Pump Doser
Reef Tec 4000 Pump
8 Bulb T5 lighting w/All ATI bulbs Change 4-2010
- Blue + (front to back)
- Blue +
- Aquablue Special
- Blue +
- Blue +
- Purple +
- Blue +
- Blue +

2 x 175w MH Lighting Rem 4-2010
2x Koralia 4 circulation Pump
1x Tunze 6060 circulation Pump (Modified)

NOTE:
Italic: Denotes Added Already
Red: Denotes Removed from Planned Addition

OP
OP
M

Modernreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand "framing" Update, its gonna get a "Skin" havent decided on which yet, but it will prolly have water in it before thats finalized anyway.
Stand dimensions 32" high, 22" deep 49.75" wide MAX SUMP SPACE 30" high, 16" deep 49" wide.
05-31-09a.JPG

For the Sump a 50gal will fit, gonna try soon as I have access to one.
Theres one piece of 2X4 missing at the top in the front
front middle leg was made to slide out, when waters not in there to get in to the sump or remove it.
05-31-09b.JPG

It will have to be knocked in and out, its will be a snug fit

Pics without flash, It actually the sump will slide right in the side, so maby the removable leg was a tad overkill
05-31-09d.JPG

level thanks to adolfo's level
05-31-09e.JPG

OP
OP
M

Modernreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so ive gotten a more phisical mock up done , as I wanted to see it more visually IN the tank.

06-06-09a.JPG

06-06-09b.JPG

So i set out to build the sand holding shelf today, and came up with this "work in progress" version. Complete with a ribbon Eel tube tri exit subway system. also note each "foot" is a possible jawfish house, as they are hollow. each hollow/exit area will have a rock above it which will be hollowed out to cover the hole, and give it a natural look.

06-06-09c.JPG

06-06-09d.JPG

I would have done these rock hollowed out hole covers, but i want to use my existing coralline covered rock, and my tanks still drydock this week (06 June 2009).
I am also going to "mount" rock or "hang" rock over the edge so it looks like the sand shelf is actually part of a tiered reef face.im also going to try to use mostly purple rock for this so it is also "not finished" yet.

06-06-09e.JPG

here it is in its planned position, looking in from the front:
06-06-09f.JPG

these next 2 pics show the "planned" rock work along the shelf face edge, which will slope down and away (represented with white paper).
All "support posts" will be hidden. The far left bottom of pic piece of white paper is the lowest sand footprint, which will have a dam of rock around it
like the "3d" rendered pics.the "planned" eel tube will reach to this far crest of rocks also. (its not long enough in the pic)

06-06-09g.JPG

06-06-09h.JPG

OP
OP
M

Modernreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 June 2009 Update
06-11-09j.JPG

06 July 2009 Update
07-06-09d.JPG

07-06-09e.JPG

Ok so the Sump is also in the works as u can see from the previous post, although I have not "stuck the partitions down just yet....
So I was able to do the other thing I was really waiting to do for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg time!! a "lit" background

07-06-09j.JPG

Even though the lit back is brighter in pics below, its becasue of my photog skillz. It looks more like the pic above, but its a little smoother transition than that with the eye. Well see how it looks with main lights on soon!!Basically a "blue translucent" sheet of acrilic, with a light behind it, well more like a lightbox..3" lightbox with back reflective cover removed

07-06-09f.JPG

See the light at the top
07-06-09g.JPG

Ok this is how im sitting now. All piped and ready for Aqua!!! "again hood closed" (NOTE: the doorskin plywood along the top hood is just temporary place holder)
07-06-09h.JPG

Hood "OPEN" this time showing the "SURGE" yes Surge system I have built for this tank.Its a "4.8 Gallons" Surge system, biased off of the Carlson surge, but with no elevation.More details on this "Low Elevation Surge" at a later time!!
07-06-09i.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Modernreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 13 2009

Wow Progress today!!
All thats left is to do is skin the hood, and then touch up some paint for sealing, and add water!!

Doors are drying, so there not on in the pics below.but the bottom is skinned and done
07-12-09a.JPG

Close up of the transition from the stand to the tank, its right to the edge of the black glass
07-12-09b.JPG

Door hinge mounting plates, (these may not be used). Hole in the top left is for venting air (fan goes there)
07-12-09c.JPG

The edge came out a little nicer than I hoped, the bamboo did not "bur" nearly at all, only when I cut to fast :)
07-12-09d.JPG

another seam detail
07-12-09e.JPG

OP
OP
M

Modernreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
03 September 2009

Ok so i had aquascaped the tank in clowdy water, with zero tank lights, and it came out fairly ok.
heres some peeks at the initial BETA VERSION OF MY TANKS AQUASCAPE.
I put my 2 175 15k XMs on just to get it lit, cause i was chomping at the bit to see it completely lit...
I still want to fine tune a tad, maybe take out some rock, but here it is as it sits tonight, 20 min after turning on the lights.

FTS pumps on the right are temp, as it was totally cloudy on sand addition, as i did not wash it as well as i had hoped
09-03-09a.JPG

right side sand shelf, i may make the front edge less tall but its working like i had hoped it would so far.
09-03-09b.JPG

From the left front with the cave action and rockwork flow. Im really happy with this area at the moment,
09-03-09c.JPG

from the levt view panel, its soooo much deeper than my 55, im so stoked!!
09-03-09d.JPG

Ok a comparison with the lit back, and below without lit..
09-03-09e.JPG

09-03-09f.JPG

The overflow is quieter than I had previously,
09-03-09g.JPG

and theres a lil built in ring to fan out the water.
09-03-09h.JPG

which is removable, for cleaning, or wrapping a pad around for temp mechanical filter....ect
09-03-09i.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back