Stability critique Please

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to create further stability in my reef tank, so I began recording my levels. I accidentally overdosed kalkwasser, noob mistake. And as I had an alk spike and things got weird. Had a massive turf algae outbreak and I think I might be seeing some STN.
This is a one yr old fluval flex 32.5g. I have been taking tests at the same time of day to ensure accuracy.

Do my levels seem stable or out of Whack? Anything fluctuating too much? High/low?

Thank you for you input!

Reef
June 14, 2021
Mg: 1440 ppm
Ca: 380ppm
KH: 4.2 Meq/L 11.8 dKH

June 28. 2021
Salinity: 1.26
Mg: 1360
Ca: 380
KH: 4.5/12.6

July, 02, 2021
Salinity: 1.026
Mg: 1400
Ca: 390
KH: 4.4/12.3

July, 16, 2021
Salinity: 1.025
Mg: 1440ppm
KH: 4.5/12.6 dkh

July 20, 2021
Salinity: 1.025
Mg: 1400
KH: 4.1/11.5

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a doser.
Looks like you have a number of nice corals. Stability is the key for long term coral success. Might be time to invest in a couple of dosers (alk & calc). Look for some good deals on some lightly USED dosers.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple observations:
1. Testing is often inaccurate and prone to error. What test kits are you using?
2. Dosing Kalkwasser via top off can be detrimental to stability as evaporation rates are very variable and one can have accidents.
3. You're parameters seem to match within testing error of your salt IO (400ppm cal, 11dKH alk, 1350ppm mag.) This is what most people try to do to maintain stability.

So generally, I think you're in a good place.

Parameters I test and try to maintain stable (in order of importance): Salinity, Temp, Alk, Ca, Mag, pH, PO4, NO3. I also run an ICP test quarterly.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple observations:
1. Testing is often inaccurate and prone to error. What test kits are you using?
2. Dosing Kalkwasser via top off can be detrimental to stability as evaporation rates are very variable and one can have accidents.
3. You're parameters seem to match within testing error of your salt IO (400ppm cal, 11dKH alk, 1350ppm mag.) This is what most people try to do to maintain stability.

So generally, I think you're in a good place.

Parameters I test and try to maintain stable (in order of importance): Salinity, Temp, Alk, Ca, Mag, pH, PO4, NO3. I also run an ICP test quarterly.
This is great feedback, thank you.

I am using Red Sea kit for alk, ca,mg. I do think that my accuracy with the tests is not perfect. Taking the reading at colour change vs two drops after the change, etc... but I have noticed further stability within regular parameters.

Would using a weaker diluted kalkwasser mix be beneficial for top off, or only top off with fresh water?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great feedback, thank you.

I am using Red Sea kit for alk, ca,mg. I do think that my accuracy with the tests is not perfect. Taking the reading at colour change vs two drops after the change, etc... but I have noticed further stability within regular parameters.

Would using a weaker diluted kalkwasser mix be beneficial for top off, or only top off with fresh water?

The issue with kalkwasser is you should be measuring pH and Alk to make sure you're not spiking or swinging either of those parameters in your tank. It's usually not an issue once you have figured out your tanks demand and dialed in an appropriate dosage. Just not that throughout the year evaporation rates will change and you may want to adjust for stability.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back