Stable Alk vs stable PH

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this was already covered a thousand times, but i am wondering.

Common alkalinity additives have some effect on ph. Now the dilemma is, if i understand correctly, that alkalinity goes down (is consumed) during the day, ph goes down during the night.

So theres 3 (4) basic scenarios, and correct me if i am wrong about anything here:

1. Dose all day and night, which raises ph throughout but probably doesnt affect the swings much, but also introduces alkalinity swings because it goes up during dosing at nigtht due to no consumption and than back down during the day due to higher consumption than dosage to balance out the rise in alkalinity during the night.

2. Dosing during lights on only, counteracting the alkalinity consumption with equal dosing. Ph is either not really affected, or the swings are made even worse, depending on additive.

3. Dosing during lights off only, counteracting the ph swing, but making the alkalinity swing rather large, depending on how much is consumed during the day.

(4.) Dosing variable amounts, or even different additives over the course of the day

So my question is, which is the best option? I figure its probably not 3 if general consumption gets large enough, but between the rest, i have no idea whats more beneficial, minimizing alkalinity swing or minimizing ph swing.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think minimizing alk swing is the common wisdom. Maybe someone else will comment. I don't think most of us worry about pH as long as it stays within normal range.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't normally test pH and haven't in many months. If everything else is right it is what it is. I test it while I get a tank going or If I suspect a problem.
My additives are on a doser as well.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back