Stable but low????

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past year my mixed reef (LPS dominant) 210g has been running with the belownumbers. I have co2 re-circulating scrubber on my skimmer. I have the biggest skimmer in the sump I can fit. We have a full house and there isn't much I can do about that. I cannot get fresh air into the tank due to my house layout either. So I'm kinda stuck on raising ph. I also cannot get the all about 7.5-7.8 max despite dosing 550-650 ml everyday into it. It's stable and everything seems to be alright but I understand these numbers to be low? Is this accurate? Any suggestions or creative solutions to help me boost my ph/alk?
salinity 1.025-1.026
temp 79 average
alk 7.54 average
calc 422 average
Mg 1328 avg
ph 8.06 average

IMG_2761.jpeg IMG_2960.png IMG_2961.png IMG_2962.png IMG_2963.png IMG_2964.png IMG_2965.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 mL per day is over 4 dKH per day, which is too much unless the tank is packed with very fast growing SPS corals.

i suspect you are getting substantial calcium carbonate precipitate. Is the sand hardening? Pumps getting deposits?

This is my generic recommendation for precipitation issues (e.g., hardening sand):

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.

OP
OP
witchywoman725

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely getting some precipitate on the return pump and in the sump... I thought it was a little crazy so thank you for confirming. I will give this a try and see if I can get it reset

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back