Stable PH

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH fluctuates from 8 to 8.2 weekly or sometimes every two days depending on how many people are in my house. Anyone have tips on stabilizing your PH?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tanks cycle up and down around .2 on a daily basis, it's a natural day/night cycle. Are you using liquid tests or continuous logging with a controller? If your low is 8, you have nothing at all to worry about. Unless you start logging routine lows getting close to 7.7 the best way to stabilize it is to stop worrying about it.

Fresh air from open windows or putting the skimmer air intake outside will push your trend upwards. A refugium lit overnight opposite the tank light schedule will help raise the low.

Capture.PNG

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree completely. I rarely even test PH. Trying to correct small fluctuations, especially chemically can cause more problems than it fixes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree completely. I rarely even test PH. Trying to correct small fluctuations, especially chemically can cause more problems than it fixes.

While I agree that pH 8-8.2 is fine and needs no adjustment, I’m not a fan of statements that suggests “chasing” pH goals is problematic. It has become a Reef cliche to make such claims.

It only causes problems if you chase it in inappropriate ways. Of course, many folks do just that, but that’s because they do not know how to do it properly.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8 to 8.2 delta is fine in my book. Many of us can't keep above 8.0, especially with smaller tanks. It's generally the low end of the bracket that should raise an eyebrow, and in the case here if it's 8.0 it's not worth an eye lash.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do need to chase it as it can drop to 7.6 if I dont occasionally open the house for some fresh air. It is amazing how co2 can climb quickly is an airtight house with a bunch living there, literally in a day or so.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back