stalkem's Deskmate office tank

Fish day!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250128_182748104.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250128_182748104.MP.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20250128_182754310.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250128_182754310.MP.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 79
I think I have an overfeeding problem. Phosphates are .3 ppm and nitrates are 10.4 ppm. I feel like I barely feed, but I guess I barely feed too much.

Noticed a small ammonia and nitrite spike. I did have some hermits take down an astrea, but that's all cleaned up by them. I've also been continuously dosing Microbacter7, and I read that overdosing that could cause some small spikes... hopefully it's just that. I'll give it a few days and test again.
 
This little guy is getting pretty active and fun to watch!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250203_181807670.jpg
    PXL_20250203_181807670.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 81
Sad day. The clowns didn't survive... wasn't at work yesterday, but the carcass was pretty well picked over by the time I saw this morning. Bummer.

Haven't seen either goby today, but they're little and hide in the rocks the majority of the time.

Pom pom crab was grooving. The snails and hermits seem happy. Maybe this will end up being a invert tank? Gonna wait another few weeks to a month and try again.

Here's a pic from Monday. Pom pom, YWG, and clown all out!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250203_183533954.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250203_183533954.MP.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 91
Well, I think my Rainford Goby is presumed dead. I did have a small ammonia spike shortly after adding the YWG and prior clown. Around that time, I saw the Rainford go into a hole in the rock, and have not seen it since. During that spike, the first clown also died. I waited a few weeks for ammonia and nitrite to level back out and did my regular water changes. The YWG seemed to be thriving, so I went and added a tiger pistol shrimp. The 2 of those paired up instantly... they are fun to watch, although any sudden movements and they both vanish again... but they have quite the little tunnel under my rocks, and the YWG keeps popping up on different sides.

I also got a new Mocha Gladiator clown. Seems to be doing great.

I did notice my flow seemed to suck, but I took my Sicce Micra Plus apart to clean it, and that little sponge was caked full of yuck. So I just threw out the sponge, and will run it and plan to clean it. Flow improved a million % upon that change. I'll get some new pics soon. Have few more corals coming from @SaltwaterAq... plus some lined up on my rack at home that I plan to bring in for this tank soon as well!
 
Brought in some coral today. Had 2 new zoas that I bought, then ripped off the old frag parts glued down from my biocube since they had spread to the rock, and brought those in for more color. Will have a nice little zoa garden going.

Added my space invader chalice, an acan I bought, an acan I had that was in a bad spot and not thriving so brought that in too, and I bought a monti to try to get to grow up the back wall.

Let's see how this comes together, and I'll get some pics soon!
 
Everyone was out yesterday. Nitrate was 1.7 ppm and phosphte at 0.05ppm. After I did a ~30% water change, I dosed a little seachem nitrogen to get nitrates up a little... Trying to avoid a dino battle in this tank.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250307_154315854.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250307_154315854.MP.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20250307_154330857.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250307_154330857.MP.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20250307_154421063.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250307_154421063.MP.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20250307_154348251.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250307_154348251.MP.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 56
This little guy is fun to watch. He tried to steal a hermit crab today!

 
Anyone have any tips on birdnests... mainly attaching them to the rocks? My hermits keeps knocking it off, and of course it's over the weekend, so by the time I get back to work to reattach it, damage has been done from sitting on the rocks. We'll see if this one recovers, but it's lost quite a bit of polyps from the trauma.

Chalice has been receding, and isn't doing great... I think I need to up my CUC a bit. The Chalice has been getting some algae.

Digitata isn't the happiest. Zoas have been doing ok, except for one that got some algae covering... I pulled that and did an H2O2 dip. We'll see if that one turns around.

I've been batting some low alk in both this tank and the biocube, so been dosing a bit to get that up. PO4 has been pretty stable around 0.04, but the nitrates have been fluctuating a bit between water changes, so I've been dosing a bit to keep it just under 10ppm. Still dosing some MicroBacter7, until the bottle is gone. I think I'm going to start some daily dosing of All For Reef.

The acans are fat and happy. One of the favias seem to be doing great. All the inhabitants are happy... the pistol shrimp keeps busy, and it's fun to see where the YWG will pop out next.
 

Attachments

  • 1000037861.jpg
    1000037861.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 1000037862.jpg
    1000037862.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 1000037863.jpg
    1000037863.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 1000037864.jpg
    1000037864.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 1000037865.jpg
    1000037865.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 1000037866.jpg
    1000037866.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 1000037867.jpg
    1000037867.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 1000037868.jpg
    1000037868.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 62
I got a 2nd pom pom. I read a post from someone that got 2 and they paired up. Hoping for the best!

Also got a 2nd little clown because my human brain felt bad that the solo clown was lonely.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250605_175640835.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250605_175640835.MP.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20250605_175646590.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250605_175646590.MP.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20250529_181311791.jpg
    PXL_20250529_181311791.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20250529_181318753.jpg
    PXL_20250529_181318753.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 42
So I had to be away for about 6 weeks due to knee surgery. I left some lovely coworkers instructions, an they did a pretty good job. All critters are alive. Most corals... just realizing my montipora must've gotten knocked over and is missing :( Had a bit of hair algae outbreak, so going to try to address that. I'll try to get some updated photos once it's cleaned up a bit.
 
Overcame the GHA with some help of a little urchin. Things look on the up and up, except I just lost one of the clowns :(. I'll have to get some updated picks on here soon!
 
Overcame the GHA with some help of a little urchin. Things look on the up and up, except I just lost one of the clowns :(. I'll have to get some updated picks on here soon!
Glad you were able to beat the GHA! Sorry about the clown loss
 
Ok, I promised some pics of where we're at.

The favia and acans were in here, and I pulled them to recover at home when battling my GHA. I did some pretty extended blackouts, so I lost all my zoas except for 1, and then brought in a couple that had broken loose in my biocube. Somehow the Leptoseris and the Darth Maul monitpora survived with just the tiniest polyps left.

Pom pom crab has hung in there, although I don't think the pom poms survived the blackout and peroxide dosing. I think we've turned the corner and this will all fill in great.

Open to ideas for what would go well in here to fill in these rock patches!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260403_152527801.MP.jpg
    PXL_20260403_152527801.MP.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20260403_152520172.jpg
    PXL_20260403_152520172.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20260403_123818716.MP.jpg
    PXL_20260403_123818716.MP.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20260403_123549444.MP.jpg
    PXL_20260403_123549444.MP.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20260403_114904796.MP.jpg
    PXL_20260403_114904796.MP.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20260403_114816928.MP.jpg
    PXL_20260403_114816928.MP.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20260403_114432271.MP.jpg
    PXL_20260403_114432271.MP.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20260403_114407489.MP.jpg
    PXL_20260403_114407489.MP.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 17
Ok. Maybe someone knows better than me. I brought in some favites from home, one of which was a "ACI Gummy Bears Favia" ... and now looking at that next to the "RR Spicy Lemon Favia" that I had purchased for this little tank, they look more or less the same.
 

Attachments

  • 37261.jpg
    37261.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 37262.jpg
    37262.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 16
I feel like I need some fillers. Any suggestions on what might go well and where?

I saw a post with @coral reeftank on instagram where they had a toadstool growing low to the sand bed... was thinking of maybe trying to do the same out of that little cave area on the front bottom left.
 

Attachments

  • 38517.jpg
    38517.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 38516.jpg
    38516.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 38515.jpg
    38515.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 12
Look at these little guys. The one has a whole clutch of eggs under her (?) belly. I wonder if any of them will make it!



41933.jpg

41941.jpg

41946.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new