Stalled cycle

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Dr. Tims, when following his process and when nitrites get to high the cycle can stall. He says to do a 35 to 50% water change. All my ammonia went to 0 in my qt tank but I had supper high nitrites. I did a 50% watcher change dropped the nitrites down under 5ppm. I waited a week and they didn't move. I did another 50% and brought it down to around 2ppm and it's been another week and it hasn't moved on its own. Should I add more bacteria and wait or add more bacteria and do another large water change?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites are not harmful in saltwater tanks, but nitrifying bac does take the longest to build up. You are ok to add a fish and start stocking slowly.

Jim-Elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ve had a bit of a bumpy ride, some my own doing but things are moving now in the right direction, at first I had a really high ammonia spike due to overstocking with the use of Seachem Stability, I was stuck on an ammonia rollercoaster for 4 weeks with very little nitrite activity, then over a 3 day period nitrites appeared at a high level, ammonia was still high with it, I’m now at the 6 week mark ammonia has dropped down to low levels, nitrates are up in the 10-15ppm but nitrites are only coming down slowly, the past day they have tested a much paler colour but still around 0.5 to 1ppm two days ago I ordered some Dr Tim’s one and only to give the nitrifying bacteria a hand but upon testing today nitrites are continuing to drop, still not low but should I let this happen naturally or add some Dr Tim’s, I performed a fish in cycle but wish I did not, so getting things under control is a little more of a concern. Jim

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Dr. Tims, when following his process and when nitrites get to high the cycle can stall. He says to do a 35 to 50% water change. All my ammonia went to 0 in my qt tank but I had supper high nitrites. I did a 50% watcher change dropped the nitrites down under 5ppm. I waited a week and they didn't move. I did another 50% and brought it down to around 2ppm and it's been another week and it hasn't moved on its own. Should I add more bacteria and wait or add more bacteria and do another large water change?
What is super high?
You did 50% water change and have 5ppm, so you started with 10ppm.
You did a second 50% and now you 2ppm….sounds right.

I don’t see the stall, and IMM your cycled and ready to add a fish or two.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ve had a bit of a bumpy ride, some my own doing but things are moving now in the right direction, at first I had a really high ammonia spike due to overstocking with the use of Seachem Stability, I was stuck on an ammonia rollercoaster for 4 weeks with very little nitrite activity, then over a 3 day period nitrites appeared at a high level, ammonia was still high with it, I’m now at the 6 week mark ammonia has dropped down to low levels, nitrates are up in the 10-15ppm but nitrites are only coming down slowly, the past day they have tested a much paler colour but still around 0.5 to 1ppm two days ago I ordered some Dr Tim’s one and only to give the nitrifying bacteria a hand but upon testing today nitrites are continuing to drop, still not low but should I let this happen naturally or add some Dr Tim’s, I performed a fish in cycle but wish I did not, so getting things under control is a little more of a concern. Jim
A fresh post is less confusing to all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back