Stand and Canopy Height Preferences

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing a lot of google searches and google image searches and I would like to get some opinions on what would be the optimum stand and canopy height for a 93 gallon cube aquarium. I will be doing a custom build on this and using LED lights and maybe some T5 lights in the future when and if SPS corals come into the picture. So the Marineland aquarium stand is 27 inches tall and their wooden canopy is 8 inches tall. The best I can tell from searching the forums is most LED lights need to be 8-10 inches above the water. There is a few inches between the top of the aquarium to the waterline so I was thinking perhaps a 12 inch canopy and a 36 inch tall stand? Would love to get some opinions on what worked best visually for other people.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considerations I used to determine stand and canopy dimensions.....FYI, my stand is 40 inches tall, canopy is 17 inches and the tank is 20 3/4 inches.

1. I'm six foot tall and found commercial stands way too short. I didn't want to have to bend down to look into my tank. I also wanted it at a height that wasn't too high to view while sitting on the couch. And, I still wanted to be able to reach into the tank without standing on a stool. So I went with 40 inches. This also allowed be more freedom in sump considerations (ie a skimmer), now having that extra height.

2. With the canopy, I wanted plenty of room to get hands, nets, cleaning tools in and out of the tank. I'm running LED's and wanted them high enough to give good spread. I also made it so that the whole front of the canopy hinges up and out of the way.

IMG_1830_zpsp7xbh5jm.jpg

Canopy open:

IMG_1420_zpsjgajzsjb.jpg

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow very nice tank. Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better about 36 inches not being too tall.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All personal preference. I like low stand. Current one is 32" Makes it easy to sit on a chair or barstool and enjoy the tank. Also makes it a challenge to work under the tank, but that's OK with me. Having a place to rest a drink is an integral part of any stand I'm building these days. I don't care for canopies, like the 'open' look, though a screen or some sort of top to keep your fish from carpet surfing is a good idea.

FTS030117.jpg

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All personal preference. I like low stand. Current one is 32" Makes it easy to sit on a chair or barstool and enjoy the tank. Also makes it a challenge to work under the tank, but that's OK with me. Having a place to rest a drink is an integral part of any stand I'm building these days. I don't care for canopies, like the 'open' look, though a screen or some sort of top to keep your fish from carpet surfing is a good idea.

FTS030117.jpg
I followed your build! It is amazing. I think I'm going to go 36 inches. I have a Coral Box D700 Skimmer and it is very tall. I'm still thinking on the canopy. I'm welding a tubular steel stand together for it and just not sure about the canopy yet. It's a rimless so I don't like the idea of a lot of weight on the glass. I will keep kicking it around and hopefully make up my mind soon.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a concept drawing of a system I'm considering. Don't know if I'll ever build it or not, but it includes a floating canopy, fairly high over the tank. Might be something to consider, since you've got a rimless tank. This would be 34" tall, with nothing under the tank. All the life support would be in the closet behind the tank.

PenTankConcept.jpg

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could only have a fish room... I'm in big trouble with space. We have a small house with no storage and kids. I am trying to figure out a place for the RODI unti where I can fit a rubbermaid container for fresh and salt water. As it is I will be building a seperate ATO container next to the stand. Just no room anywhere in this house or under the stand. Sucks but I will not backdown from this challenge LOL

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the stand and canopy concept. I found the image online and used photoshop to suit my needs for the cube build. The problem I worry about is that the steel is so heavy for the canopy. Trying to integrate some wood into it. Another problem is I am running LED lights on a 30x30 tank. The light will have to be positioned pretty high for coverage. So many obstacles to overcome.

93 Gallon Cube Stand.jpg

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the stand and canopy concept. I found the image online and used photoshop to suit my needs for the cube build. The problem I worry about is that the steel is so heavy for the canopy. Trying to integrate some wood into it. Another problem is I am running LED lights on a 30x30 tank. The light will have to be positioned pretty high for coverage. So many obstacles to overcome.

93 Gallon Cube Stand.jpg
I remember seeing another thread where someone built a canopy using 80/20. Expensive material, but it looked good and was probably light.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing another thread where someone built a canopy using 80/20. Expensive material, but it looked good and was probably light.
Yes very expensive. I have refined my welding abilities and can make a way stronger stand for about $100. I plan to use magnets to secure the side panels. I am inserting faux stained glass into those side panels so when the fuge is lit up at night it will be a night light. But DAYUM is plexiglass expensive.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back