Stand design

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i understand the basics of DIY stand design using 2x4. My question is, does the rim or exterior of the stand need to match the display tank or can you make it bigger?
example : i have a 60 breeder with 48.5 x 18.5 as footprint. can i make the stand a solid 50x20 and put a nice hardwood plywood sheet on top? thus enabling me to fit a 40b under and not worry about the stand ever sagging due to no middle set of vertical braces.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I'd make a plywood stand and not use any lumber at all. You get so much more room in the stand. It does require a few more tools than your average stand but well worth it. You could make it large enough that you could use a 60 breeder down below as your sump too.

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I'd make a plywood stand and not use any lumber at all. You get so much more room in the stand. It does require a few more tools than your average stand but well worth it. You could make it large enough that you could use a 60 breeder down below as your sump too.
What do you mean plywood stand? Do you have an example? Ive never seen a stand made from plywood alone

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can view the one I built in my "My tank thread":

See these also:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man that seems like alot more skill level then what i know. I talked to my friend who is more handy about the stand and he said we could try 80/20 metal as he can weld. i will show him pictures in the links you sent to see if we can do that. the guy sitting on 3k lbs of bricks was impressive. the 40b is only .5 inches wider so i still might have to make the skeleton a little wider then the display 60b.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back