Stand Fans Direction

Garets92553

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen people say have one blow in and other blow out. Then people say not to do that cause fan blowing out won’t last long cause the salty air. Others say have both blowing in and air will find a way out. What’s everyone’s opinion my stand is pretty much completely enclosed.

D0721DC9-0CE1-4006-9D7A-DE6BB9230EA1.jpeg C671A5FC-DC3C-45B5-A84D-A5762BBDEA64.jpeg

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably drill or cut some vent holes at the top of one side and blow the fan in from the bottom of the other side. Probably wont really need a fan with this vent config because warm air leaving the top vent will draw cool air in natrually

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you looking to mount fans? Is it to lower temp? I would mount some fans on the top to blow air across the top of the water and promote evaporation.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put fans in my old 120s stand to prevent moisture getting so high that mold could grow. They last longer when blowing fresh air in for sure, but I still got about year out of an exhaust fan before the salt got to it.

OP
OP
Garets92553

Garets92553

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you looking to mount fans? Is it to lower temp? I would mount some fans on the top to blow air across the top of the water and promote evaporation.
Just looking to reduce heat from electronics and moisture. When I open my door I can feel the heat coming out.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Blow in.
- If you can find IP rated fans for more than dust, try those. Expect sticker shock.
- Try to avoid recirculation. If you can have an air intake in a place that exhaust air won't just find its way back around in a millisecond, its better off.
- Positive pressure is good, but having a dedicated exhaust area is much better than having a bunch of cracks for it to leak out of.

In your case, how much space is there between the wall?

I'd personally put intake fans in the back (for the looks), and cut an exhaust spot with a grile on the opposite end. Put a baffle or divider somewhere in the back to push the air out, and not just recirculate behind the stand.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, then I would install a fan to vent the stand and heat. You will likely go thru them quicker than just blowing air across the top, but all the are is just computer fans and they really aren't much money. When I mean go thru them I don't mean in quick order, just the moisture will shorten the life of them.

OP
OP
Garets92553

Garets92553

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Blow in.
- If you can find IP rated fans for more than dust, try those. Expect sticker shock.
- Try to avoid recirculation. If you can have an air intake in a place that exhaust air won't just find its way back around in a millisecond, its better off.
- Positive pressure is good, but having a dedicated exhaust area is much better than having a bunch of cracks for it to leak out of.

In your case, how much space is there between the wall?

I'd personally put intake fans in the back (for the looks), and cut an exhaust spot with a grile on the opposite end. Put a baffle or divider somewhere in the back to push the air out, and not just recirculate behind the stand.

Good idea. I got two fans that I think I’ll mount on back wall blowing in and figure out a way to have the exhaust go out the back wall also but have it directed to the side so it doesn’t get sucked back up. (Maybe something like a dryer vent). I’ve got about 4 inches behind stand just enough to squeeze my arm into.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've a 120mm computer fan in my canopy blowing out. On the opposite end I have 2 120mm mesh fan guards for air 'in'. Because this is in my canopy the mesh guards keep jumping fish where they belong.
In your case being near the floor, the only reason I see for the guards would be to catch dust and keep critters out.
I have a piece of fibreglass screen door mesh on the inside of the fan held in place by a 'ring' I made out of plex. This keeps most of the dust from collecting on the fan blades.
I covered the exposed electronics on the fan with aquarium silicone.
I clean the mesh guards whenever they look dirty, and am @ 8 years already with the original fan.
I don't worry about deflecting the outgoing air because heat rises.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protecting the fan electronics in my case required peeling back the sticker on the outgoing air side.
I never did this originally on my sump fans and they failed very quickly. The replacements are years old and also still going strong.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally fans blowing in with vents/holes for the warm moist air to exit.

One fan IN and one fan OUT blows the same amount of air as one fan IN. Think about it. Best to have any fans blowing IN with passive exit.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally fans blowing in with vents/holes for the warm moist air to exit.

One fan IN and one fan OUT blows the same amount of air as one fan IN. Think about it. Best to have any fans blowing IN with passive exit.
I agree. The only drawback I see is you're blowing dust in, instead of drawing it out - you'll get dust buildup around all exit points.
I went with my final design to control dust because this is my canopy, and the air being drawn in is good enough for me to control humidity. There is no dust anywhere in my canopy, including hinges and door frames.

Oh, and the other reason is because 'puller' fans are more efficient than 'pusher' fans (car guy).

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back