Stand leveling question

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building a stand for my 240 using Rockets plan with 2x6 rails and 3/4 plywood top and bottom. The top will also have a leveling mat from the manufacturer. My cement floor isn’t level. Looks like there’s between .25 and .50 difference from left to right. What’s the max that can safely be shimmed? Are composite shims better than wood? I wouldn’t think they could, but can adjustable feet be used?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to do shims I’d say composite because wood shims aren’t treated so if they get wet they have the possibility of rotting. But I personally like adjustable feet. My tank and stand definitely aren’t as heavy as yours so you’d need a lot more then I put (1 in each corner) but what I did was drill holes, install tee nuts, and then elevator bolts. You can add rubber if you want on the carriage bolts but I didn’t bother because I know it’s not going anywhere lol. But going the DIY route it’s definitely a lot cheaper and very strong as it’s making multiple contact points between the tee nut and bolts.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with feet is they create a very concentrated pressure point that most flooring doesn’t handle well. On a concrete floor you may be okay.

When it comes to shims, I use cedar shingles instead. You can get a bundle for cheap and there’s a lot more in one bundle than those pine ones you see for doing doors. Because they are cedar, they won’t rot. Also, they are very wide so you can really spread the load out.

Good luck.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with feet is they create a very concentrated pressure point that most flooring doesn’t handle well. On a concrete floor you may be okay.

When it comes to shims, I use cedar shingles instead. You can get a bundle for cheap and there’s a lot more in one bundle than those pine ones you see for doing doors. Because they are cedar, they won’t rot. Also, they are very wide so you can really spread the load out.

Good luck.
It’s concrete floor but has a life proof floating floor on top. My worry with the feet is exactly what you said about concentrating the load. I am more worried it will concentrate the load on the stand itself though. If I use shims is it safe to stack 2 shims? I have spots where 1 won’t cut it.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using cedar shakes, I wouldn’t be concerned because they are so wide. I’ve also found that some are thicker than others so those get used when I need more to fill a bigger gap.

Back