Stand okay for a 40g breeder?

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stand seems to be made of real wood the legs are 2 x 2 the tank frame perfectly sits corner to corner the same dimensions as the stand. Just wonder if I need to reinforce this at all I do need to reinforce underneath with a couple two by fours for my sump, but I was just curious if the standard was good enough to hold a 40 gallon breed without any reinforcements
IMG_0666.jpeg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like solid wood which I prefer because any water will get into any kind of laminate and swell it and eventually causes problems with stability. I had to buy a new stand, and transfer a full 40 onto it. pretty sketchy endeavor

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like solid wood which I prefer because any water will get into any kind of laminate and swell it and eventually causes problems with stability. I had to buy a new stand, and transfer a full 40 onto it. pretty sketchy endeavor
Yes forgot about that make sure you have access on top for maintenance, Also you may want to cut a piece of plexi glass to put underneath. I helps when yo get salt creep that comes off the glass ie easier to clean

OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice. I agree that it would hold. What kind of sump is that?
Do you have any plans for the back glass?
I honestly don’t know it’s a high flow mega three or something like that. I guess it’s an old sump but it came with a skimmer and a sump from my local fish store. They only wanted $45 for it. And yes, I’m going to paint the back glass black

OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes forgot about that make sure you have access on top for maintenance, Also you may want to cut a piece of plexi glass to put underneath. I helps when yo get salt creep that comes off the glass ie easier to clean
Yeah, that’s not worth the tank is going to go. That’s just where I have a temporarily sitting due to my children lol I never thought about that on top believe it or not. I work in a nursing home and I brought home two headboards that I cut to fit that are laminated.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree it looks ok. After you fill with water, give the stand a little push in the corner - it should not creak or seem like it will fold over like a lawn chair. Looks like solid wood, so I doubt it will. But I see the construction from the one picture

OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree it looks ok. After you fill with water, give the stand a little push in the corner - it should not creak or seem like it will fold over like a lawn chair. Looks like solid wood, so I doubt it will. But I see the construction from the one picture

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be mounted to a wall on both sides and two studs due to my young toddlers

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be mounted to a wall on both sides and two studs due to my young toddlers
Excellent! That size tank could be 400lbs with rock/water but with a fairly small footprint. So if you anchor to wall it will give you peace of mind. Probably not necessary, but with those precious little ones running around I would not think twice about over building it

OP
OP
D

dwdoworkdw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! That size tank could be 400lbs with rock/water but with a fairly small footprint. So if you anchor to wall it will give you peace of mind. Probably not necessary, but with those precious little ones running around I would not think twice about over building it
That’s kind of why I went with the weird kind of stand as well because it’s a lot taller and they can’t reach the tank

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t know it’s a high flow mega three or something like that. I guess it’s an old sump but it came with a skimmer and a sump from my local fish store. They only wanted $45 for it. And yes, I’m going to paint the back glass black
Sounds like a great deal. I saw this Idea for a frosted glass background and led lights.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back