Stand Pipe/ Plumbing Help

Johndros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm overwhelmed with how to plumb the drain side of my 100G build. The center overflow tower only has 2 drilled holes. One for the return and the other for drain so Herbie is out. Its too narrow to fit the "U" shape of a Dorso. Because of the lack of an "Emergency drain" if something were to get clogged. I'd rather not create a syphon. Is the best I can do a loud Single standpipe with a strainer on top? I've always had a all in one w/the sump built into the back until this build so I don't know for certain, but I feel like its going to be loud and drive me nuts.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm overwhelmed with how to plumb the drain side of my 100G build. The center overflow tower only has 2 drilled holes. One for the return and the other for drain so Herbie is out. Its too narrow to fit the "U" shape of a Dorso. Because of the lack of an "Emergency drain" if something were to get clogged. I'd rather not create a syphon. Is the best I can do a loud Single standpipe with a strainer on top? I've always had a all in one w/the sump built into the back until this build so I don't know for certain, but I feel like its going to be loud and drive me nuts.

Is there a way you could drill for the return and use both as drains.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise you can take an air line stick it in the stand pipe and make sure the air line is above the water surface will give the air to stop the sucking sound.

OP
OP
J

Johndros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the Maggie muffler with safety?

the problem with going over the top is I have Euro Braceing and Not sure they make the hook piece wide enough for the bracing...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a herbie with the 2 holes and plumb a return over the top.

That's what I'd do .... and did ... well, sort of. Put a hole in the eurobrace for the return. Use black pvc if you need to fully span the brace.
IMG_0654.JPG

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always work with Eddie at Sea Swirl as to what sort of bracket is needed to mount 1 or 2 swirls to the top of your tank. Plus side, it gives random flow.

OP
OP
J

Johndros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hole where the current return pipe is on the overflow box... Would you guys plug it? How? its a rather large hole if I were to go the over the top route

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about either just plugging the hole with an appropriately sized bulkhead and capping the end with black PVC? Or maybe use a power-head like the Octopulse (I use one on the center overflow) it has a "dry side" magnet that I submerge? You could use it like a patch across the hole, that is presuming the hole is smaller then the diameter of the magnet.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
the hole where the current return pipe is on the overflow box... Would you guys plug it? How? its a rather large hole if I were to go the over the top route
I would look into seeing if a small piece of 1/8th" or even 1/16th" black acrylic would work either on the inside or the outside.

OP
OP
J

Johndros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are epoxies generally reef safe to attach the piece of acrylic?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't want to plug that second hole in your overflow. you want to use it as a second drain.
@mfinn had it perfect. You should upgrade to a herbie overflow. A lot of advantages over a durso. Much quieter, much safer.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Are epoxies generally reef safe to attach the piece of acrylic?

I once attached a piece of acrylic on a eshopps overflow that was installed too low.
I put a piece of thin acrylic over the bottom of the teeth to raise the water level up higher in the tank.
I used hot glue. It held for the 4 months I had this tank and the person who bought it hasn't said anything yet a year later.

Superglue gel also might work, if you don't have access to Weld-On #3

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back