Stand question

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting my cube build and on my 93 cube and my marineland stand is really short Has anyone modified one To make it taller Or should i just build a new one i barely have room For my skimmer and The tank drain it Almost even with the top of my sump Just curious if its worth modifing or just build a new one

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build a new stand. Most of the time the stands are made out of the least expensive products. With some planning, cabinet grade plywood, nice molding, one can build a attractive well made stand and have the stand whatever color or natural wood you would like.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building mine out of 1.5 tubular steel. It will be an 11 mil or (.120). I have discussed the stand design with Marineland and they have signed off on it as safe and will approve any warranty should it happen. I am building my stand height at 36 inches from the floor. Marineland is 27 inches. It is purposely done because they use an average persons height to reach in the tank without a ladder LOL. I'm 6'4 so I have no issues with reach.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies i guess ill be building a new stand figures first new stand i buy and it wont work atleast i didnt pay alot

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added about 6" to a 100g tank, did it recently. Stand is plywood, not the pressed board material.

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need to do is build a stand under your stand. You could use cinder blocks also and wrap them in wood. Don't build a new stand if you don't have to and are happy with the one you have.

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old oak stand, little water damage on the pressed board top and bottom so I removed both.
Used old canopy to rip the 6" addition pieces, cut to fit all sides, marked for biscuits to join the boards, drilled some pocket holes for the vertical joinery, all the jointed edges were applied glue and clamped.
I used some surplus plywood for the top and bottom; picture shows the old white mdf board on top but has been already replaced.
Hope it helps

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building mine out of 1.5 tubular steel. It will be an 11 mil or (.120). I have discussed the stand design with Marineland and they have signed off on it as safe and will approve any warranty should it happen. I am building my stand height at 36 inches from the floor. Marineland is 27 inches. It is purposely done because they use an average persons height to reach in the tank without a ladder LOL. I'm 6'4 so I have no issues with reach.
have you ever looked at 80/20? link

dmax525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the one I just recently built for my 150 cube for the same reasons you are talking about.
72dbebc23e29decaa978dcfb11fc36ec.jpg
2cfddc0514c161c2735eef0e90d930eb.jpg

For the ease of access I made all three side panels removable just magnets to hold them in place.

dmax525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just building a riser for the current stand isn't going to give you any extra height inside the stand. I went 40" tall and added the drink rail. Yes, it takes a step stool to get my arms in the tank but, I have a ton of room underneath and it's the perfect viewing height for standing or sitting in a counter height chair or bar stool.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the replies my current stand is the marineland one its just too small inside and its partical board i am not fond of that . im gonna make a new stand i think since i am 6'1" i dont like bending over to look into my tank so i was thinking a 33" tall tank so i have plenty of room inside and i like the idea of all the sides removable should i make the top a solid piece of plywood or just have it open in the center it is a 93 rimless tank and does it void my warranty if i put the tank on a homemade stand ? the weather is going to be nice this weekend so i hope to get this build moving im tired of looking at an empty tank

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered adding a side door or two?
no i didnt think of a side door but the opening in the front should be big enough to get in and do what i need i did consider making a drawer on the top about 3 inch high and 15 deep to hold all my test kits and stuff

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha i know never enough , i have the stand 75% build but i am having second thoughts on a solid top this is my first rimless tank and im a little nervous i dont want it to expload , my nieghbors tank just blew up on them < was a 95 wave front and the front just blew out after 6 years > so i am a bit paranoid

Back