Stand shims + sump reinforcement?

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put together my IM APS stand for a 40L EXT, which will be located on tile above a concrete slab. To level the tank, I used quite a few shims (I read when shimming a side, try to do the entire side with shims 2-3” apart). I’m planning to get another pack of composite shims to add some extra reinforcement along the back and to replace the wood ones (in case they get wet in future). Stand with empty tank is perfectly level as-is, but should I be concerned with this setup?

Furthermore, I have a 30” sump (est. 20-25 gallons) that I will be placing below tank. Stand came with a lightweight (dense foam?) like board to place on the bottom, on top of the two aluminum profiles bracing the tank. Do I need to consider additional reinforcements to support the weight of my sump? Not sure if it would make sense cutting a piece of plywood to put on top of the aluminum braces before putting the dense foam board back on top?

Any insights / suggestions are highly appreciated! Thanks

BFDE745C-0385-4A4C-BB4F-DD33DF5AB055.jpeg

OP
OP
Nick711

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply - good call on a waterproof solution if I decide to go that route. I’m assuming the stands are made to hold the sump without any issue, so maybe I’m overthinking it.

I ended up adding another 12 composite shims. May be overkill, but would rather make sure all the weight will be distributed well before filling tank + sump with 50+ gallons. Will plan to break them off once display is full and I ensure no further adjustments are needed.

Attachments

• 1D939570-CEF1-418C-A4FC-DFFBC190105D.jpeg
    1D939570-CEF1-418C-A4FC-DFFBC190105D.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back