Stand support question

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I took off the top of my aquarium and would like to know if there is suggestions how I should make 2x4 to support an acrylic aquarium .

Stand is Going from glass to acrylic

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
image.jpg

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy an ultra flat surface for it. I used a remnant piece of granite. You can do the workbench butcherblock top.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Just buy an ultra flat surface for it. I used a remnant piece of granite. You can do the workbench butcherblock top.
Well I’m using acrylic not glass so my concern is that it says in the middle

I’m second guessing it for sure

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you build a 2 x 4 frame inside the top. That would spread out the weight. This is what i did.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to make the top flat and tie the tops of the 2×4's together in a perimeter frame and across the front to back dimension. Then, you could use 2cm Quartz, Corian solid surface, 3/4" PVC, HDPE, or plywood that is sealed against water. You just want even support under the entire surface of the acrylic tank bottom. You can use polystyrene foam up to 1" thick as a topper to plywood to prevent uneven support. Lots of ways to skin that top!

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to make the top flat and tie the tops of the 2×4's together in a perimeter frame and across the front to back dimension. Then, you could use 2cm Quartz, Corian solid surface, 3/4" PVC, HDPE, or plywood that is sealed against water. You just want even support under the entire surface of the acrylic tank bottom. You can use polystyrene foam up to 1" thick as a topper to plywood to prevent uneven support. Lots of ways to skin that top!
Agree

Nails and screws into everything

Attachments

• PSX_20230331_221345.jpg
    PSX_20230331_221345.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m
do you have an example?

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Agree

looking at yours , all i need to do it put 2x4 across the end , and length wise then. t
Agree

Do you think laying the 2x4 so that it's 2" support instead of upright 4" makes a difference in the loading capacity? I see yours is laying down and every stand build i seen they have them upright.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at yours , all i need to do it put 2x4 across the end , and length wise then. t

Do you think laying the 2x4 so that it's 2" support instead of upright 4" makes a difference in the loading capacity? I see yours is laying down and every stand build i seen they have them upright.
I think they are stronger with the 2 inch side up. The 2x4s on mine arent load bearing and just reinforcement for the sides. I felt like the perimiter wood was enough to hold a tank as this stand previously held the same sized tank without a top. I also added load weight support with the verticle supports i added. Tying it all together added a ton of strength and no worry about failure

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I think they are stronger with the 2 inch side up. The 2x4s on mine arent load bearing and just reinforcement for the sides. I felt like the perimiter wood was enough to hold a tank as this stand previously held the same sized tank without a top. I also added load weight support with the verticle supports i added. Tying it all together added a ton of strength and no worry about failure
I don’t have braces running at bottom . The 2x4 are vertical screwed in on the bottom sheet of wood. I’m thinking of adding those 2x4 to top and adding horizontal support .

Do you think I should squeeze on down there , or take the panels off and pretty much build the frame around the sump as is . Or do you think the top framing will be good with weight pushing down

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you tie the 2 inch side up horizontal 2x4's into all 4 corners and the sides then you will be good.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back