Star fish ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter hambam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hambam

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2024
Messages
110
Reaction score
78
Location
ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was recommended to get more live rock for my tank and got a pretty big and lively one and turns out even had a star fish on it I’ve had it for a few days now and sounds the beautiful little critter can anyone ID it for me so I make sure to accommodate for it

IMG_3544.jpeg IMG_3543.jpeg
 
Asterina Star. Some consider them pests as they can reproduce quickly and can take over a tank if not kept in check.
 
Oh no. This one looks so nice I’d probably keep it is there any benefit to keeping them in?
 
Also, nicely done taking the advice on here :) hope the tank works out!

Regarding the star, technically they are extremely hardy and difficult to kill. Low maintenance, SHOULDN'T harm corals, but there are a few threads on here that some say they eat their zoas, can take care of some detritus and algae.
If you see one, there's probably three more in the rock.
 
Of course I appreciated everyone’s input I’m definitely more confident in the tank now that I have all the right testing kits and knowledge about things . That’s crazy I’m definitely gonna be on the look out for more they took this live rock out of a tank with a monstrous looking eel in it so I thought there wouldn’t be anything living in it yet here it is haha.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new