Strange starfish could anyone id this one please should i keep it

20200711_142204.jpg

Tonedeafviolinist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those. They REALLY like my zoanthids. I don't know for sure that they are eating them, but people on this forum say they do, so probably. They also breed like crazy, so if you decide to get rid of it, do it now. They definitely eat coralline algae.

OP
OP
N

Newbereef46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have those. They REALLY like my zoanthids. I don't know for sure that they are eating them, but people on this forum say they do, so probably. They also breed like crazy, so if you decide to get rid of it, do it now. They definitely eat coralline algae.
Thanks got him on the sand now should he stay or should he go

20200711_150358.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think they're cool. I have a bunch in my tanks and they don't seem to be harming anything.
Battled them. They were winning. Bought harlequin shrimp. He's the tank star now. So far, the asterinas are keeping hold. When,if they are depleted, have to feed him other starfish.

The Lumpster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have them in my tank. Mine do not bother my zoa's nor do they eat coralline. I really like them. They definitely multiply fairly quickly. I have gone from one hitchhiker on some live rock to over 50 in a year and a half. Maybe there are different varieties of Asterinas? Mine look a little different than yours.
20190104_153939.jpg

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only some eat coral but some certainly do. I had one that was eating one of my leathers. I personally would take them - I’m told they breed big time but, to date, I’ve only found two so they either hide well or I’ve got rid of them before they had a chance to breed.

Back