Starboard safe for bottom of reef tank?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Leon Gorani, May 15, 2019.

1. Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani Member

i want to get a sheet of plastic for the bottom (inside) of my reef tank and I’ve heard that starboard plastic is okay to use for this. Does anyone have any other material suggestions for a tank or is this a good option? Is it safe for saltwater tanks? Is there something similar I can buy at Lowe’s or Home Depot? If you have experience please give me suggestions on what type is best for a saltwater tank. I really appreciate it!

cracker and ludnix like this.

2. Steven w

Steven w Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Check the wwc build thread they used starboard for the bare bottom on that tank.

ludnix likes this.
  3. K1ng

K1ng Member

I went barebottom on my 220g and used an ABS sheet to protect the bottom glass. It is pure black but I like the contrast it gives. It was pretty cheap, $80CAD for a 6' x 2' piece. Just make sure that when you cut it that you leave an inch gap between the board and the edge of glass around the entire perimeter of the tank.

4. ludnix

ludnix Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365

Nylon or LDPE sheets are also an option, I would check with a local plastics company about ordering a custom cut sheet.

cracker likes this.
  5. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Starboard works fine as does acrylic or polycarbonate.

6. This guy is Extra Salty

This guy is Extra Salty Active Member

Black Pebble abs
    Acrylic

Jon Fishman and ludnix like this.
  7. Butuz

Butuz Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I used egg crate.

8. DanConnor

DanConnor Well-Known Member

they sell pvc sheets- that will work

Jon Fishman and ludnix like this.
  9. Jon Fishman

Jon Fishman Valuable Member

For someone looking to put a a black-bottom on a bare bottom acrylic tank, what would you guys suggest?

I want matte-deep-dark black. I am looking at custom cut stuff shipped to me, at over $100 for 1/4” starboard

I need 96” long (minus space for expansion I guess?) So I would probably do 3x 32” long pieces so I can get it past the euro-bracing etc, and also avoid “over-length” shipping charges.

Are there other/better options anyone has used? The black acrylic seems more “tinted” and not true-black. The PVC sheets (3mm) shipped to me seems a lot more affordable but it says “PVC Foam” Is this some other non-reef-safe product I am looking at, or is it schedule 40 stuff they call “foam” in the industry for some reason based on manufacturing???

Thanks

Edit. Could I cut this stuff with a utility knife???

Hmmm. picture won’t show

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/products/blk-060-48x-96-hc-abs

Last edited: May 20, 2019 at 1:46 PM
  10. DanConnor

DanConnor Well-Known Member

What I used is 1/2" white PVC sheet that you can get at home depot or lowes. It appears to only come in white.

I don't know what this foam stuff is. It appears like it might be similar to something called Sintra that I have as a rigid matrix to laminate large prints on.

11. Jon Fishman

Home Depot’s website sells black.... I’d like to see it in person first if possible, otherwise it kinda makes ordering from them less advantageous

12. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I don't know name or what it's made of. Just like plastic cardboard . They sell sheets at my Home depot . I lined the inside of my refugium ,white They had black as well . I see no harm in years. Starboard is pricey !

13. Jon Fishman

Can you find a link on their site so I can look into it? I am hesitant to put anything in the tank without knowing what it is made of.

cracker likes this.
  14. RandyC

RandyC Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Polycarbonate has BPA in it and will leach into the water. If BPA is a concern for you, I'd go with the other options. Acrylic, PVC, HDPE, LDPE.

15. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Sorry I can't . It's the same stuff they make "For sale, rent " signs .

16. RandyC

RandyC Active Member Build Thread Contributor

17. o2manyfish

o2manyfish Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Starboard is available in white and black. And the black has a smooth side and textured side.

Black acrylic is not tinted but solid black. If you dont want the gloss surface then take 5 mins with a sander and some 220 grit and the gloss is gone. With the black acrylic you can glue some black acrylic scraps onto it and this gives you places to push rock up against so it doesn't slide and can you the ability to make some more creative aquascapes. Also adding black pond foam to the acrylic give you the ability to add shapes and structures to use as a basis to build rock structures off of.

Dave B

Draft saved Draft deleted