Starburst Cap has a green pigment area

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Reeftech Starburst cap for nearly a year now. The frag grew real slow and the polyps faded a bit, but growth has taken off finally. I have absolutely no real estate left in my current tank so it is on the bottom (have a 200 galllon sitting on the floor of my living room with the build in progress) . I took a look at it a few weeks back and noticed a green speck in it. The area is growing and in the picture it can clearly be seen "flowing" into the orange tissue. I know that others call this "grafting" or pigment sharing or various other verbage. I don't know if I really want this cap doing that, so I will probably split the frag in two and mount separately in my new tank. I just wanted to share because it has been reported before but I had never personally seen it other than in pictures. I have other Monti caps in my tank, a neon green one and a Atlantis pink polyped green and well as Green slimer acro. I don't recall any pieces of these falling on the Starburst when fragging, but I have fragged all of the mentioned corals so it is fairly certain that pigment containing tissue was floating around from time to time. Please no PM's for frag requests. It is still really just barely bigger than a frag itself and the purpose of this post is just to share the photo.

Starburstcloseup.jpg

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i was just going to ask for the other half of the frag that you cut!
cool picture, really nice piece
my favorite cap and thanks for sharing!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of this monti cap...Unfortunately i missed out of the recent frags.

Yeah it looks like something may have morph on to it. Most starburst frags/colonies i have seen have no hint of any green.

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does appear you got a piece that is grafted.if thats the case then you got a sweet piece there.well it is sweet anyway but that just adds to the sweetness :D

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it just has something to do with the placement. I'm sure that most people, if not all keep it up higher, moving it down may cause the green tint.

Eddie Baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it just has something to do with the placement. I'm sure that most people, if not all keep it up higher, moving it down may cause the green tint.

Possibly, but it doesn't seem like placement would cause the vivid green in just the relatively localized spot, though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back