Starcki damsel + other damsel in 45gal = bad idea?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love Starcki damselfish. I also quite like Springer's and yellowtail blue damselfish. Is it safe to assume that putting a Starcki in a 45gal with one of those other species will end badly for the other species? I'm assuming so, but figured I'd ask just in case.

Other tankmates are a pair of ocellaris clowns, and will eventually include a scattering of small blennies and gobies.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toss a coin in the air lol. It might work, it might not. It might work for a while then not anymore. They might be fine with each other but turn on the other fish. Who knows? Good luck with that :)

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels tend to get a lot more aggressive than most people realize once they reach adulthood. I have seen what seems to be a model citizen damsel grow up in a tank only to suddenly start killing off its tankmates in short order. Just a word of warning.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chysiptera genus damsels are pretty docile. What are the dimensions of the tank?

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
26" by 22", roughly.

Which I'm starting to think might be too small for a Starcki in general, let alone a Starcki with a similar-looking fish. The only damsel I've kept was a yellowtail blue, which pretty much stayed in or right around its cave, and I don't know how much that around-the-cave radius expands for a slightly larger damsel. Since yellowtail blues are about 2" and these guys get to 3-4".

From what I'm reading, these are two species that should be fairly well-behaved. They seem to be in the camp of "add it last, and it's probably fine", as long as you don't have anything super timid. I'm not especially worried about the other fish; clownfish should be able to stand up to a Chysiptera damsel, my sailfin blennies and future watchman goby live in holes where they're not likely to be bothered and can retreat if needed, and my hopeful future clown goby tastes bad. I know for a fact that clown gobies taste bad enough to deter Chysiptera; I used to keep one with said yellowtail blue. The damsel nipped it exactly once, backed off shaking its head and mouthing vigorously, and never nipped the goby again.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should stick to 1 damsel with a 2 foot cube.

I agree that the clowns, blenny, and goby can hold their own.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that's about what I thought. Figured I may as well ask. Thanks for the input, all.

Now: which one do I go with? Does anyone in here happen to have experience with how much space Starcki damsels need?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back