Springer Damsels

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a few springer damsels for a 20 gallon frag setup at home. What are some good tank mates (if any). I know they are fine with all inverts just not sure if they are good with other fish id like to pick up a small baby tang of some sort (algae control) and let him grow out a bit before going into my 120. Maybe a small scopas tang or something along those lines

Thanks in advance

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any more fish to that small tank if you put damsels in it first. Doubt you would have any success because if it's just a frag tank you probably will have little or no rocks in it for fish to use

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any more fish to that small tank if you put damsels in it first. Doubt you would have any success because if it's just a frag tank you probably will have little or no rocks in it for fish to use

I did actually add substrate and rock I'm using it a office/grow out tank almost for my 120. I was gonna do a glass bottom but decided to just throw a bag of the reef grade stuff in it

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did actually add substrate and rock I'm using it a office/grow out tank almost for my 120. I was gonna do a glass bottom but decided to just throw a bag of the reef grade stuff in it
I still think you might have issues with another fish in there with those damsels. They will each claim a side of the tank like 50% each. I have a springer in my 65g along with an anthia and other fish. The springer and anthia have very defined territory so you can expect that in your tank also but with very limited space.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think you might have issues with another fish in there with those damsels. They will each claim a side of the tank like 50% each. I have a springer in my 65g along with an anthia and other fish. The springer and anthia have very defined territory so you can expect that in your tank also but with very limited space.
will they bother like a lawnmower blenny ? or would they ignore him ?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will they bother like a lawnmower blenny ? or would they ignore him ?
I think it's the tank size and the potential that damsels get aggressive which they have been known to do. You can always try another fish but just have a back up plan ready if you need it. I once put a yellow watchman goby in my tank thinking no one will bother a peaceful bottom fish yet multiple fish started picking on him so had to return to LFS. Returning is always the easiest solution if there is aggression in the tank.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's the tank size and the potential that damsels get aggressive which they have been known to do. You can always try another fish but just have a back up plan ready if you need it. I once put a yellow watchman goby in my tank thinking no one will bother a peaceful bottom fish yet multiple fish started picking on him so had to return to LFS. Returning is always the easiest solution if there is aggression in the tank.

I thought the Springer damsels specifically were extremely less aggressive than the typical demon damsels

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the Springer damsels specifically were extremely less aggressive than the typical demon damsels
Yes that is what they say and the reason I added one to my tank too. But I tell you he claimed his spot on the reef and even my largest fish stay clear of him. Tough little dudes.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back