starefire'ninsula rimless nano in 90.

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure I will throw my hat in the ring here...

The tank is going to be a 34.9 gallon rimless starfire peninsula tank. The goal of this tank is to have it be deadly quite and everything will be self contained under the stand...nothing external including the chiller and top off. The tank will be high and low tech at the same time...if that is even possible (you'll see based on the equipment listed and the delivery methods.)...it will be a dominated SPS tank and by most standards stocked to the brim (we are not talking naso tangs here, but a good amount of fish). I attribute a very well stocked tank (fish poo) combined with poly beads, the reef gensis dosing and HEAVY skimming to the success of the SPS growth and color in my current tank. I will not be spending a dime on this tank livestock wise, simply by just taking a few of my gems of coral from current set up and putting them in the tank in order to stay under the limit.

Tank Specs:
36Lx16Wx14H peninsula style with internal overflow
3 sides 1/2" starfire glass w/ black back
Rimless
Drains and returns inside overflow

Stand:
Still TBD (will be made from 3/4" ply wood the same stuff they make road signs out of and braced accordingly), but will be painted for sure and experimenting with some options that will be revealed when they are completed. As stated above, everything will be under the stand including the chiller and ATO container. That section will be partitioned off and the doors will have screens to allow airflow to move through and let the chiller breath. 36"Lx16"Wx34"H

Lighting:
2 Maxspect P-series Mazzara LED's light mdoules w/ 100 degree optics (since the tank is so shallow, it should be plenty...but the beauty if the p-series is, if its not, I have 70 degree and 40 degree optics to swap out)
p-series controller
I will be replacing some of the LED's with a green and fiji purples
I am currently running these lights over my 67gal cube and they ROCK!!!!! I get amazing colors and growth with these lights.

Filtration:
Octopus SRO XP1000 SS skimmer w/ bubble blaster pump
Running GFO and Carbon through a two little fishies reactor
Running Poly beads through a modified two little fishies reactor (the reactor method may change)

Sump:
Octopus PVC mini sump 18.75"Lx12"Wx16"H

Controller:
Neptune Aquacontroller w/ a dc8
Will monitor- PH, ORP, & temp
Will be hooked up to monitor wirelessly from anywhere

Water Movement:
Tunze 6095 w/ 7096 controller
Tunze 6025

Misc. Eqiupment:
Artica 1/15th chiller
Octopus water blaster 7000 return pump (this will have a manifold that runs all other equipment...chiller, reactors, uv, return, etc)
Penguin UV sterlizer
TMC V2-ozone ozioner, just plumbed through the skimmer (will only run about 2 hours a day, more for water clarity than anything)
Elos ATO
ATO container is a slim water resivor (usually used for camping), will hold about 6 gallons of water, which in my current set up, lasts me about 2 weeks, before needing to be filled again 14"Lx6"Wx16"H

Dosing:
- Will be dosing cal., mag, kalk, tropic marin k+ & a- elements...all just put into the top off bin. This is where I go low tech. (no calcium reactor, no dosers, etc.), I have had very good success with this method in my current set up. The ELOS tops off in very, very small amounts of water, so it does a good job at dosing small amounts of those into the tank to keep up a constant supply instead of massive doses once a day. It also keeps me from having to add stuff daily, I just do it once every two weeks and I am set.
- reef gensis one (hand dosed)
- reef gensis fuel (hand dosed)

I will of course update with some pics of equipment and the tank once it is built (almost finished) and the process of putting it all together...

If you have questions or comments, please do so...I will do my best to answer any questions that pop up.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Can't wait to see it!!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to this build!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're looking forward to following your build!

-M&T

OP
OP
S

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some parts in and figured I would post up a couple of pics and my thoughts on the items.

Octopus SRO XP1000 SS skimmer w/ bubble blaster pump -
I Like it, I think it is well built. I do have a few things I am bit concerned about is it does not come apart and there are some very tight spots to try and clean. Another thing is the skimmer cup is a press in and VERY tight, I am interested to see how that works when it's under the stand when I need to clean it...and on the back of that the pump is just pressed into the skimmer, NOTHING to physically hold it to the skimmer, so that worries me a bit. The last thing is the pump has metal screws exposed to hold the volute of the pump on...while I am sure they are stainless, it does make me a bit nervous. it is very quite running and actually created some sort of "skim" foam off freshly made RO/DI water that had no salt!!! So I can only imagine what this thing will do running in the sump.

Octopus Mini Sump
I am quite impressed with this little thing...it is "pvc" which allows to keep it's cost down...it has one clear panel, which would suffice for most, but since this a peninsula I wish both sides were clear, but oh well I will get over it. EVERYTHING that comes with this sump can be moved to suit the tank it is going into (the ato/probe holder, the sock holder, and the divider), so it can pretty much work for any set up for any tank. It is very, very simple, so someone that wants an over complicated sump, this is not for them, but you will also pay A LOT more for that sort of set up. It also came with a little attachment that allows the hooked of a probe and a small ATO line...hell, I bet most sump companies would charge $20 for it alone...so it is a nice little bonus.

Octopus Water Blaster 7000
This pump is BIG...holy crap, but it moves water some just seeing it in water not hooked up anything in a bucket. I am ok with that, since it will be running a manifold that will run the return, the 2 reactors, the UV and the chiller...I am dealing an under power pump, that can not keep up with the single drain, so it is a pain to regulate...so hopefully with this I will be a lot easier to regulate and add some great steady flow to the tank.

JBJ artica 1/15 chiller
this chiller is tiny, which is what I wanted and it perfect for my set up. I am hoping that it is as quite as it claims and others have said.

I thought I would post a couple of pics, one of which is how the set up will look under the stand...just under 36", so my calculations were perfect. Keep in mind the chiller will be separated, by a divider so the moisture will be extremely minimized from the sump area and the chiller.

e8y7a6aq.jpg

unynuna6.jpg

uhupa4yp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank got picked up this weekend. Looks very nice. Thought id share a couple quick cell pics.

sejepu2u.jpg

8u5e8ujy.jpg

tuzedy9u.jpg

vy8e3ejy.jpg

Next up is the stand...should be completed in a couple of weeks and have a couple of interesting bits that hopefully will make it look amazing and make it unique.

And then I have one other thing to get built, that I think will really set this tank off!!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

eww

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you coming on this little ninsula? Any new updates?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
S

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is official the stand will not be done in time. Mods you can move.

I will however continue the build thread regardless of the comp.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is official the stand will not be done in time. Mods you can move.

I will however continue the build thread regardless of the comp.

Sorry to hear this, but GLAD you are going to continue with the build.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back