Starfish dead or dying?

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday I got a chocolate chip starfish for my wife. Last night I went to feed it for the first time (a piece of krill). Around 7 pm last night. It's 11 am where I live. He's still like this with the krill at his mouth. I did see a couple of his suckers moving however. But should I do anything, let him be, is he dying? I've never had a starfish before, and I also don't want him to hurt my tank if he's dying.
920e8c0a73031cbc809411a4f994a1d6.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday I got a chocolate chip starfish for my wife. Last night I went to feed it for the first time (a piece of krill). Around 7 pm last night. It's 11 am where I live. He's still like this with the krill at his mouth. I did see a couple of his suckers moving however. But should I do anything, let him be, is he dying? I've never had a starfish before, and I also don't want him to hurt my tank if he's dying.
920e8c0a73031cbc809411a4f994a1d6.jpg
Welcome to R2R! Your tank looks very new, starfish don't tolerate poor water conditions very well. It doesn't look like it's dying right now but I'd watch it

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! I got a red starfish last week and at the beginning did the same but now is in love with one of my live rock. Give it another day and keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your tank looks very new, starfish don't tolerate poor water conditions very well. It doesn't look like it's dying right now but I'd watch it
My tank just turned 6 months old, while I know it's still new in the terms of salt water, I did make sure with someone that runs a fish place (fresh and marine) that my tank was ready for him. Should I be worried that he still has his food in his month this long after?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank just turned 6 months old, while I know it's still new in the terms of salt water, I did make sure with someone that runs a fish place (fresh and marine) that my tank was ready for him. Should I be worried that he still has his food in his month this long after?
It's just that from the looks of things your tank seems to have high levels of nitrate, which chocolate chip stars do not tolerate. I'd recommend asking on here about future purchases as opposed to fish stores because in many people's experiences, many fish stores are just trying to make a quick buck and will often mislead new hobbyists into buying things they may not be ready for

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s okay if doesn’t accept food right now considering you just “added it “and your rocks look way too new for 6 months

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just that from the looks of things your tank seems to have high levels of nitrate, which chocolate chip stars do not tolerate. I'd recommend asking on here about future purchases as opposed to fish stores because in many people's experiences, many fish stores are just trying to make a quick buck and will often mislead new hobbyists into buying things they may not be ready for
My nitrates are very low, I tested on Tuesday before I got him. If it had been any other employee I would have been skeptical, but he has turned down fish sales because they don't look good, etc. And when I first got the tank turned me away from some expensive choices I was making since my tank wasn't ready for them. But will my star at least be okay until I get back from work. In roughly ten hours? I really have zero experience with invertibrates, even in fresh water. I only just even added snails very recently, so I'm concerned, and possibly over paranoid.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are very low, I tested on Tuesday before I got him. If it had been any other employee I would have been skeptical, but he has turned down fish sales because they don't look good, etc. And when I first got the tank turned me away from some expensive choices I was making since my tank wasn't ready for them. But will my star at least be okay until I get back from work. In roughly ten hours? I really have zero experience with invertibrates, even in fresh water. I only just even added snails very recently, so I'm concerned, and possibly over paranoid.
Well if your parameters are fine then I'd say you officially have nothing to worry about. Chocolate chip stars are really the easiest of all the starfish to keep, you just don't see them in most peoples tanks because they eat coral. I think your starfish should be fine atleast until you get home.

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if your parameters are fine then I'd say you officially have nothing to worry about. Chocolate chip stars are really the easiest of all the starfish to keep, you just don't see them in most peoples tanks because they eat coral. I think your starfish should be fine atleast until you get home.
I do my best to stay on top of them. I know a bit of my algea died off because for about a week ago for a couple of weeks I was leaving the lights to my wife, and.. I really don't think they were getting turned on much if at all. So it does look a bit newer than what it is thanks to that. Thank you. [emoji5]

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u acclimate the starfish and if so how. I have heard and plan on doing a super long acclimation when I receive my starfish in a week. I mean like a 2 to 3 hour acclimation and just put the bucket in my sump to keep temp up. They dont tolerate salinity changes very well which is why I will take a long time.

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u acclimate the starfish and if so how. I have heard and plan on doing a super long acclimation when I receive my starfish in a week. I mean like a 2 to 3 hour acclimation and just put the bucket in my sump to keep temp up. They dont tolerate salinity changes very well which is why I will take a long time.
Around an hour and a half or so. Slightly longer. I had him in the bag floating in my tank, and would periodically add tank water to his bag.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around an hour and a half or so. Slightly longer. I had him in the bag floating in my tank, and would periodically add tank water to his bag.
I will do a drip as it's more controlled. Not sure if starfish can get it like fish, but wondering if it osmotic shock due to salinity?

#reefsquad

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do a drip as it's more controlled. Not sure if starfish can get it like fish, but wondering if it osmotic shock due to salinity?

#reefsquad
I posted this sake question on reddit since I was concerned, and he said starfish do this. Ever since I added him on Tuesday he's been fairly active, until I gave him the krill.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let him be.

What kind of tank do you have? I went to check to see if you had a build thread to see, but didn't see one.

The reason I ask is this particular starfish is a coral killer among other reef inhabitants, like snails. Wanted to make sure you were aware of that!

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let him be.

What kind of tank do you have? I went to check to see if you had a build thread to see, but didn't see one.

The reason I ask is this particular starfish is a coral killer among other reef inhabitants, like snails. Wanted to make sure you were aware of that!
I am. I have a 55 gallon FOWLR. 5 fish, 6 snails, and the starfish.

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Starfish is fine like everyone said. But he stayed in the same place with the krill in his mouth for 26 hours before deciding to eat it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back