SICK STARFISH

JRH_12345

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2026
Messages
29
Reaction score
16
Location
Wappingers Falls
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since July 22nd, my starfish has been in quarantine because I accidentally overdosed on Algaefix, and he got sick really bad. He gotten better at one point but he is getting worse again, his wound/cut is releasing white fuzzy stuff, he keeps producing slime, and he is curling his limbs, I added a heater, airstone, and filter. I do water changes for him daily, and I don't know what to do now



17863681417862980248611234022613.jpg
 
I'm not sure there's much that can be done, but I would try to keep the water as clean as possible. I don't know if maybe the R2R #fishmedic team would know more.

Good luck!
 
Ever since July 22nd, my starfish has been in quarantine because I accidentally overdosed on Algaefix, and he got sick really bad. He gotten better at one point but he is getting worse again, his wound/cut is releasing white fuzzy stuff, he keeps producing slime, and he is curling his limbs, I added a heater, airstone, and filter. I do water changes for him daily, and I don't know what to do now



17863681417862980248611234022613.jpg

There really isn’t any practical medical treatment for starfish - except to give them the best environment possible. This container probably has really high ammonia, even with the water changes, can you move it to a stable tank?
 
Most starfish (except basket and brittle stars) don’t live long in captivity.

It’s hard to provide long term for them.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new