Emperor and Bicolor Angels sick

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok no worries, I think I may do it first thing in the morning.. I’ll probably be up in 8/9 hours from now latest..

With the water, I use untreated tap water?
And you said something about PH?
Absolutely. You need to add buffer to the water to get it to whatever pH your tank is at. Then you need to warm the water to whatever temperature your tank is at. So the bathwater has to be the same temperature and PH as the tank water.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what you’re going to do is you’re going to fill a 5 gallon bucket halfway with tapwater. Then you’re going to adjust it for temperature and adjust.it for PH. Then you’re going to remove as many rocks from the aquarium as you can. Put them in a bucket or as many buckets as you need and cover them so they don’t dry out. Scoop out the bicolor first and put him in the bath then scoop out the emperor and put him in the bath. Five minutes then scoop them out and put them back in the tank. No lights and then gently put the rocks back into the tank so as not to frighten the fish. You don’t have to do any aqua scape now you just need them to be in the water so the bacteria doesn’t die. Ok so far? Any questions?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add an additional air stone or two to your tank to increase the aeration? If you don’t have buckets for the rocks, you could just cover them with a piece of plastic or something. The idea is not to let them dry out.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all sounds good
Airation In the tank or bucket?
Additional aeration in the tank. Not necessary in the bucket. What I think you could do, as the fish are in the bath you could put the rocks back into the tank so they don’t dry out. Set an alarm for the five minutes. You have to make sure the fish do not lay on their side. They’re going to want to lay on their side. You’re going to need to touch their tail with something so they get up and keep moving. If you let them lay on their side they may go into shock. If you can’t get them to keep moving then just put them back in the tank they’re probably too far gone anyway. This is important. It’s going to be hectic. And it may not work. But I think it’s your best shot right now.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor is going to be difficult. Poor little guy hasn’t eaten for God knows how long. And now we’re going to put him through the ringer. But we are going to kill some bacteria, that much I know. I’m not that worried about the emperor. I think he’s got a great chance of making it. What do you think?

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alternative would be to just put some kanaplex into the tank and hope for the best. Maybe increase the aeration in the tank. But that would be contra to the instructions on the Prazi bottle, which I hate to do. What do you think?

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m worried for the Bicolor, he looks healthy other than the wound.
But the not eating is tough… unless he pecked at the rocks when I wasn’t there.. but even then that’s not much

the Emperor as the day progressed ate
More and more, so while I was super worried in the morning that he wasn’t eating much at all, I’m more hopeful now that he’s eaten a decent amount today

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about it, I read mixed opinions online
I just don’t wanna put the other 10 fish that are happy at risk too..

it’s a tough call
Hard to see the little guy struggling

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly won’t be insulted if you decide against the bath. I’m not there to see the fish and what condition their in so I’m gonna let you be the judge of what you think is the best course of action.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to go to Kanaplex route cut your feeding back. Way back. The fish will survive for a few days with a tiny amount of food. If you decide to go Kanaplex route, then your primary enemy is ammonia build up in the tank. You’ll need to be checking the ammonia level every day.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe we better skip the bath. I think it’s too complicated. Add some aeration to the tank, then go to the store and get the Kanaplex and add it according to the instructions.

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me see how they’re looking in the morning, if the Emperor hasn’t gotten any worse and is eating well and same with the bicolor if he’s looking any better I may skip it. As the water quality looks to be good now. And it definitely wasn’t for 24 hours..

If things aren’t good I may either do the bath or the medicine. Bath May be the safer option though

it’s a tough call either way on that but I want to protect as many as I can

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back