OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is a closed top,
Over the last couple days I left the lid open as much as possible and put the wave pumps a little higher so increase the surface movement.
That should help that?

Although I think my PH is dripping with the prazi and Cupramine. Can I add buffer?

and if he occasionally pecs at the rocks should I put him back in, or leave him in this compartment?
he was super hard to catch, so don’t wanna put him back unless I’m sure lol

I wanted live shrimp on Friday, couldn’t get.. and probably won’t be able to go until Monday now :/

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coal beauty is eating and healthy, you should put the coral beauty in the quarantine box if he’s the only one bothering the Bicolor. Bicolor looks pretty good compared to what I last saw. You can never tell with these diseases. What looks like a bacterial infection may actually be a parasitic infestation. The only way to be sure would be to look at a scraping under a microscope. So maybe some of the things you are doing are actually working, but not in the way you intended. In any case I think the only thing you could do now to improve the situation is, like I said, put the coral beauty into the quarantine box for a week or so and let the Bicolor have the run of the tank. If he starts to feel comfortable and not threatened, he may start eating. Also, there’s a much better chance of the coral beauty eating in the quarantine box then there is of the Bicolor. Sounds like you’re having a pH problem which doesn’t surprise me with all the medication going on. Stay on top of that. Don’t let it drop below 8 if you can. Definitely use some buffer if you have to. Keep me posted. I’m very interested in your situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
So an update..
The bicolor seems to be healing pretty well thankfully. And he’s now swimming around the tank all day pecking at things.
By feeding he seems to be nibbling on little bits of stuff floating around with the food as opposed to full pieces at the moment, but I assume that along with bits on rocks can sustain him?

And the Emperor is eating everything now thankfully too.
Can you identify the little white patches on him?
Is it also injuries that just need time to heal?

i did a 20% water change today, so I’m weakening out the Prazi, but keeping copper in there at about 0.5

634583F7-37BE-409D-90CB-1BB615738E76.jpeg 85CC02DD-E59C-4753-B843-59B3627C4AFE.jpeg D7E132B6-530B-49C7-83B2-C3EC40DD47D6.jpeg

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Tough to tell on those white patches. My best guess would be lymph. Read up on it here

That will go away as the fish gains comfort. Angels are susceptible to this particular viral infection. Extremely rarely fatal. What’s happening with the emperor‘s tail? Has the disease stopped spreading? Try to get that Bicolor eating aggressively. Feed them as much as you can without overfeeding. Sometimes the best medicine is a full belly and clean water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks so much for that!
I believe that the size of those swollen bits are getting smaller, so hopefully that’ll all clear up.
The tail stopped shredding and had gona back to that clear color, so I’m hoping it’s just time for it to grow back.
One of It’s bottom fins was also all ripped up, but he’s started to open them again after they were shut for days, so I hope that’s a good thing. It seems to be clearing up.

the bicolor is struggling with regular food, but he’s snacking all day..
I’m feeding the tank 3 times a day to give them as much as possible to help them heal.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the size of those swollen bits are getting smaller, so hopefully that’ll all clear up.
The tail stopped shredding and had gona back to that clear color, so I’m hoping it’s just time for it to grow back.
One of It’s bottom fins was also all ripped up, but he’s started to open them again after they were shut for days, so I hope that’s a good thing. It seems to be clearing up.

I’m feeding the tank 3 times a day to give them as much as possible to help them heal.
Sounds like good news on the emperor. Did you try to get some live food? Brine shrimp or black worms? How about hatching some brine shrimp? Good chance he’ll go for that. That’s how I got my bicolor eating.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Picture I just took of my brine shrimp hatch rig. That's a cut-off 2L Coke bottle, a small length of rigid tube connected to an airline connected to an air pump. 1/4 teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs. Any pet store should carry them. I’ll let it percolate for 48 hours to make sure I get as much eggs hatched as possible, though most people only perc for 24 hours. These particular eggs will be fed as Nauplii tomorrow to my torch and hammer corals. My clown fish also go nuts for these things. Lmk if you want more info.

71A6B3E2-C106-4569-B6B3-01AFB1E9360D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture I just took of my brine shrimp hatch rig. That's a cut-off 2L Coke bottle, a small length of rigid tube connected to an airline connected to an air pump. 1/4 teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs. Any pet store should carry them. I’ll let it percolate for 48 hours to make sure I get as much eggs hatched as possible, though most people only perc for 24 hours. These particular eggs will be fed as Nauplii tomorrow to my torch and hammer corals. My clown fish also go nuts for these things. Lmk if you want more info.

71A6B3E2-C106-4569-B6B3-01AFB1E9360D.jpeg
Hi Bruno,
So I gave it a couple weeks to see how things went..
I’ve had the Bicolor for 2 and a half weeks, I still haven’t seen him eat any food while feeding, but he’s constantly on the rocks, and he doesn’t look crazy skinny.. should I assume he’s getting enough nutrition?
Or should I try those eggs that looks interesting:)

Attachments

• IMG_4329.MOV
    26.9 MB

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bruno,
So I gave it a couple weeks to see how things went..
I’ve had the Bicolor for 2 and a half weeks, I still haven’t seen him eat any food while feeding, but he’s constantly on the rocks, and he doesn’t look crazy skinny.. should I assume he’s getting enough nutrition?
Or should I try those eggs that looks interesting:)
You know, the problem with that is that these fish can go for weeks, sometimes even months without eating, and then they’ll start to decline very rapidly. By then it’s too late. If you want to try the brine shrimp hatch, unfortunately the usual sources like the LFS or Petco, etc. way overcharge for brine shrimp eggs. Here’s where I buy mine. 30 grams for $8. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh amazing, thanks!
and I just leave them in water with an air pump for 2 days?

(I have a spare 1.5g tank, may be perfect for these)

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh amazing, thanks!
and I just leave them in water with an air pump for 2 days?

(I have a spare 1.5g tank, may be perfect for these)
Yep. 48 hours will guarantee the highest hatch rate. Then you should try to separate the newly hatched brine shrimp from the broken shells. The broken shells will float and tend to accumulate on the sides of the container. The newly hatched brine shrimp will be attracted to light. You can use these two characteristics to your advantage when figuring out how to separate the broken shells from the live shrimp. Any more questions, just ask. Good luck. By the way, how’s the Emperor doing?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back