Starfish on its last legs...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Llyod276
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Llyod276

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
768
Location
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dunno how it happened but Mr starfish is now down a leg and a half...

16135286661787524829106544279867.jpg
 
Every now and then my starfish try’s to hug my power head and well ya know this happens! Hasn’t happened in a while though. He will pull through.
 
Well, maybe not. Leg loss may be the beginning of complete disintegration, usually a result of the star having starved to death. Looks like a sand sifter - not all that enduring.
 
A starfish dropping legs is a sign of stress and high ammonia or nitrates can and do stress starfish out. Starfish can be very sensitive to out of range salinity, ph and oxygen levels and are prone to bacterial infections when there are fluctuations usually losing limbs isn't a good sign. I recommend doing a 25% water change if you haven't done that recently or on a regular basis.
 
Well, maybe not. Leg loss may be the beginning of complete disintegration, usually a result of the star having starved to death. Looks like a sand sifter - not all that enduring.
Yeah I read up on that hes been in there for 3 months now. And he, literally being brainless, only works the front right corner of the tank. Granted the sand of a bit more prevalent there. I wonder if I should inject Reef roids into the sand for him to eat?
 
I second Starving starfish, they eat what's avaliable in the tank and then starve its probably been starving for a while as I read somewhere they can survive for up to 3 months or so in this state but then detrriate and sadly die best to avoid sand sifiting star fish as its extremely difficult to provide it with enough food and it will eventually starve and pass.
 
Yeah I read up on that hes been in there for 3 months now. And he, literally being brainless, only works the front right corner of the tank. Granted the sand of a bit more prevalent there. I wonder if I should inject Reef roids into the sand for him to eat?
id get those cheap sinking crumbling pellets they feed catfish, i give them to my cucumbers
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new