OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve seen two. How old is the big brittle star?

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first put it in the tank in 2012 but it was already a good sized starfish at the time.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomoko has Asterinas and zoas. Maybe she will comment here.

I have hundreds of Asterinas at this point (from just a few I had a little over one year ago when I replaced my leaking 180.) I tried to get rid of it by introducing a Harlequin shrimp, but it quickly became a lunch to my Orchid Dottyback.

Do they eat zoas? I am not sure. I have a number of zoanthid and palythoa colonies that are thriving in my tank, but I have lost a number of blue zoa colonies for some reason. I have a Powder Blue Tang and a big Foxface who are also suspects for the dirty deeds.

I understand that some people have caught Asterina red handed eating zoas and other critters. Dr. Ron Shimek has a picture of Asterina miniata eating a tiny sea cucumber in one of his articles in Reefkeeping magazine. Here is an article on Asterina by ReefBuilder/Jake Adams: https://reefbuilders.com/2016/03/30...duction-to-this-common-reef-aquarium-critter/

Last edited:

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some Asterinas eating my orange zoa. I am not sure if they were feeding on already chewed up parts or not. These zoa were very healthy the day before. I squished those Asterinas, but I am still suspecting my to Foxface and pigmy angel to be the instigator.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back