Starki pair? Fish gender?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS informs me that if we can manage to pair Starki damsels, they will eventually (1+ year) unpair, because of gender reversion/change.

True or false?

I understand fish can have a gender, I understand they can pair accordingly, I understand that some fish species can all start as one gender and then change gender (eg. clowns) and that there can be a hierarchy if the dominant fish dies, another will take it's place after a gender change. But he seems to be talking about yet another phenomenon, with a fancy scientific word associated with Starki Damsels. Despite my best efforts, there doesn't seem a simple information source describing the various possibilities for fish re gender, and thus I am not sure what he means about a Starki pair being at best temporary.

It used to be so simple...

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four types of hermaphroditism are known in fishes: simultaneous (or synchronous) hermaphroditism (SH), protandry (male-to-female sex change; PA), protogyny (female-to-male sex change; PG), and bidirectional sex change (BS or reversed sex change in protogynous species). The key is actually finding factual information about that species to be sure what type the exhibit if they are indeed hermaphroditic

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%

Back