Starphire Glass Has a haze (pictures included)

gahumphrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm I have the same exact issue with an Innovative Marine Nuvo SR 80. It's heartbreaking to invest so much time and money into a SW/Reef tank and have this happen. I have to either pay $1500 for a new tank or deal with an aquarium I hate looking at.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ashish would you be able to forward me to contact info for the custom tank builder that you used? I'm trying to get more information about the hazing but can't get any companies to respond to me for more information. Also, did he confirm that this can be buffed out? I read elsewhere that it affects the structural integrity of the glass? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry just seeing this.. I got this information from Miracle aquarium. Planet aquarium also is aware of this as I am sure most reputable companies are otherwise youd have alot more complaints about hazing panels. I doubt there is any structural issues

Ricky J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One heck of a thread.

Having the same issue on a WB 110.4, have yet to contact Waterbox.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry just seeing this.. I got this information from Miracle aquarium. Planet aquarium also is aware of this as I am sure most reputable companies are otherwise youd have alot more complaints about hazing panels. I doubt there is any structural issues
Hey Ashish
I wasn't active in 2017 therefore missed this Saga.
I ordered my tank from C2C in 2018 March and took delivery in July 2018.
Tank is 72x24x36 peninsula. Three long side Starphire and one small.

2019 I was collecting equipment etc. Then Corona happened. So finally Jan 2021 I put water in. During this time I left plastic on the tank as it came from manufacturer to prevent scratches.
Big mistake, even that plastic etched the glass. I used magfloat, magic eraser etc.

Nothing. You could see the etching on outside. Finally I have to get green home depot cleaner and scrub small 2x2 spot for 1 hr. Then I used same wax buffing machine they use on cars paint.

Finally it came out. But I realized that glass is so soft that even leaving the plastic wrap etched it.

Guys be careful, starphire is nice but is very soft.

But then again it's C2C. Same manufacturer.
You know I always hear how some manufacturer are expensive etc.

But you can buy different levels of low clear glass.
Big manufacturer, or experienced manufacturer would have made this mistake and learned from it.
Thankfully I bought my tank in 2018 so C2C learnt from their mistake.

Ashish I would I loved if somehow you could have confirmed that tin was indeed inside of aquarium.

Anyway you can still do it. Otherwise C2C will just say customer is jilted.
I have heard stories of Pat threatening to sue people who leave negative reviews

I knew this going in. There will be no warranty. It's just that C2C was fastest turn around. I haggle the price since I knew warranty will be a battle.
So I am happy with my tank. Happy with C2C

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low-iron glass has the same hardness as standard clear glass, with less green distortion. Additionally, both low-iron and clear glasses also have the same resistance to abrasion.

Low iron and clear glasses are produced using the same float process and equipment but require different levels of purity in raw materials.

Having said that, next time buy a Tenecor acrylic which is by orders of magnitude more clear than any kind of glass, including low iron. And we offer lifetime warranties. All the best.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Low-iron glass has the same hardness as standard clear glass, with less green distortion. Additionally, both low-iron and clear glasses also have the same resistance to abrasion.

Low iron and clear glasses are produced using the same float process and equipment but require different levels of purity in raw materials.

Having said that, next time buy a Tenecor acrylic which is by orders of magnitude more clear than any kind of glass, including low iron. And we offer lifetime warranties. All the best.
You have an order pending from me. Don't worry I spread my business. Have both acrylic and glass tanks.
Good people on both sides of aisles.
Thank you for having best prices on acrylic lids and frag racks.

Guys he has acrylic lid 48x24 for 120 bucks.
I saw 20 gallon ato reservoir for 180 bucks
Also 10 gallon reservoir for 100 bucks.

And most of these items are shipped free .
I didn't see pics of lids I will post mine when it arrives.

Jim helped me with order. Amazing service at low price.
Other lid makers quoted 350 to 400 for lid.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man I see he removed the lid. Before he had lids for Aqueon, Marineland, Innovative marine etc.

Since I have a fijicube 76 gallon 48x24 I just choose IM SR 80 gallon for 119.
This was very low price. I don't blame them for removing it. Lol

Still they have these ato for good prices.
Screenshot_20221020-021611_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221020-021550_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221020-021550_Chrome.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20221020-021532_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221020-021532_Chrome.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 19

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I see he removed the lid. Before he had lids for Aqueon, Marineland, Innovative marine etc.

Since I have a fijicube 76 gallon 48x24 I just choose IM SR 80 gallon for 119.
This was very low price. I don't blame them for removing it. Lol

Still they have these ato for good prices.
Screenshot_20221020-021611_Chrome.jpg
The other lids are coming back. For all the brands. They are temporarily down because we need help sizing them. Some of those brands are not very popular and we cannot get accurate sizing information. And some of the prices have been adjusted. Even lower now.

Our design and manufacturing staff have been busy getting ready to launch another business, Grade Displays. That store should be live by November 1. What is available for sale is just a small selection. Much more will be added. Sneakers, comic books, Pokémon. Everything.

After that one, it is Tenecor® Cages. January 1st for that store. We keep ordering new equipment. All of it uses more power and our electric service has been upgraded to handle the extra load. 1,700 amps now. That also took time. Our lead times for most small items such as lids, drop in kits and frag racks is same/next production day. The new equipment will keep us ahead of demand so lead times will still be short. Finally, almost all of our aquariums are being repriced lower. We will be the lowest cost source for almost any aquarium from small 40 gallons to midsize 300 gallons. The larger 300+ gallon tanks too.

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a consensus here that the use of lanthanum chloride causes or exacerbates the hazing of low iron glass? Or was it nothing to do with lanthanum and only caused by the tin side being in? My low iron tank is from C2C too and I want to use lanthanum but I'm scared of the hazing.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for sharing.. we reefers finally get to the point where we can afford a custom tank and for it to haze leaves us with no choice but to live with it, it is very devastating! I am glad my new tank does not have the problem but I let Miracle know about the problem with my previous tank and they ensured me they use a light to test the glass before manufacturing, which gave me confidence they would not sell me a 400 gallon haze box. Anyone ordering a custom tank should ensure they do this. Tian got his tank from reefsavy and it goes to show you its very easy to just mix up one panel and quality control for this companies should test them before they are crated. My 115 gallon haze tank is sitting in the garage and I would like to eventually see if polish it out. Tian says its permanent but looking at the glass it seems its just a surface haze and I feel it maybe a good test for me and the hobby to eventually see if I can polish it with (I believe) cerium oxide or glass polish.

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still hesitant to use any lanthanum chloride products in my tank because of this thread. Is there any link between alkali glass corrosion and lanthanum chloride?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back