Starphire Glass Has a haze (pictures included)

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Dont tell me that I am about to get a 400 gallon miracle.. Actually Tell me more:rolleyes:
Well.....Derek is coming out next week to look........so I'll inform you next week..... look at my build thread for insight to my disaster

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. Sorry this has happened to others but the info is very informative. Im resealing a 210 and was thinking of buying a low iron pane for the front, anyone know how to tell which side goes where?

jonathon sullum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past month or so I' noticed a haze (mineral deposits?) on the front panel that is ruining my reef. Ironically both side panels are not really effected as can be seen from last picture. The front and side panel are starphire glass!

I've used a magic erraser and a Razor blade and still no help. This tank gets a good clean every other day with a flipper mag.

The below picture is from 3 months ago before these blurry panels!. this is my first custom tank with starphire glass and i've never had this on my past standard glass tanks. What gives and how can I get rid of it? I can't tear this tank down or use vinegar there has to be a more practical way!

1208171906.jpg

1208171906a.jpg

20170716_144416.jpg

1208171911.jpg
Over the past month or so I' noticed a haze (mineral deposits?) on the front panel that is ruining my reef. Ironically both side panels are not really effected as can be seen from last picture. The front and side panel are starphire glass!

I've used a magic erraser and a Razor blade and still no help. This tank gets a good clean every other day with a flipper mag.

The below picture is from 3 months ago before these blurry panels!. this is my first custom tank with starphire glass and i've never had this on my past standard glass tanks. What gives and how can I get rid of it? I can't tear this tank down or use vinegar there has to be a more practical way!

1208171906.jpg

1208171906a.jpg

20170716_144416.jpg

1208171911.jpg
Just read your post from several years ago.I have identical problem on 1 year old 400 gallon starfire glass aquarium. Did you ever find a solution?

Scottcscs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats wrong with this tank. I've been looking into getting one?
Sorry for the delay in reply I stopped getting notifications.
Nothing initially but I found within 18 months the only thing that was still aqua one was the tank and sump itself, I had swapped out all other components and then found the sump still too restrictive to add additional equipment.
If you were going to go fish only or FOWLR would probably be a really easy off the shelf product that comes with everything required to be successfull.

Scottcscs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my prior tank low Fe develop etching on one panel only. It’s heartbreaking when it happens. Nothing will work. Tried them all. It’s a glass defect. Just happens.
Had to get a new tank. Move everything. The dread of having to do that was the worst. Once it was done - back to being happy. Short memory brain kicked in. Went with star fire glass. No regrets 3 years later.
Haha yep!! Despite the problem with the aqua one I still went with low iron on the custom build so far so good just gotta stock it now.

20200313_190633.jpg

reses12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to chime in and let y’all know that this indeed does happen with freshwater aquariums as well. The tank is a bit older than the ones listed already, but does anyone have any expert sources they can direct me to? Dealing with the supplier now and it’s not going well. :/

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read your post from several years ago.I have identical problem on 1 year old 400 gallon starfire glass aquarium. Did you ever find a solution?

Well my hazing tank is sitting in the garage next to me new 400 gallon tank. New tank builder confirmed exactly what I had already mentioned on this post "He messed up by putting the tin side inside". He also reassured me I won't have this problem with his tank because he made the same mistake before and now has a tool to check tin side vs air side. When I have the time and desire I will either pay someone to buff out the haze or just do it myself.

0527201736a_HDR.jpg

reses12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ashish would you be able to forward me to contact info for the custom tank builder that you used? I'm trying to get more information about the hazing but can't get any companies to respond to me for more information. Also, did he confirm that this can be buffed out? I read elsewhere that it affects the structural integrity of the glass? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone have this issue with an IM tank? Mine is only a year old and an entire pane has a white haze from the waterline down. I’ve tried everything I can think of, even a magic eraser and nothing works.

I called them for assistance and they said it’s “probably something growing on the glass”.

GlassReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with my 375gal. I broke it all down and sold the fish and corals. I can't find anyone who's willing to polish it. OP, just wondering if you ever managed to get yours restored? I'm way too old to put the effort needed into mine, if it's a lost cause.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ashish would you be able to forward me to contact info for the custom tank builder that you used? I'm trying to get more information about the hazing but can't get any companies to respond to me for more information. Also, did he confirm that this can be buffed out? I read elsewhere that it affects the structural integrity of the glass? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry for the response i didnt see this msg. New builder is miracle. Planet is also one i would trust since i discusssd with them

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen 2 Starfire glass aquariums where the glass went cloudy really bad. So bad that Hydrochloric Acid did nothing. They had to be replaced, 3rd tank was regular glass & is still in use today. It was determined that the glass itself was the problem.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with my 375gal. I broke it all down and sold the fish and corals. I can't find anyone who's willing to polish it. OP, just wondering if you ever managed to get yours restored? I'm way too old to put the effort needed into mine, if it's a lost cause.

Not yet still sitting in my garage but hopefully i can get it to it in the next few months. Is your tank a custom tank and low iron? I would suggest to find a professional glass company and have them polish it. 375gallon tank is worth more than my 110gallon so would try to get that taken care of, worst case you can have the bad panel replaced.

GlassReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's custom - made by a no longer existent company in Vancouver.... I tried my best, but could not find anyone to take on the job, other than a guy 400 miles away in Miami. I think I'm going to canvas the local places like GlassDoctor to see if anyone would be interested in doing it off the clock.

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just having a similar issue with my tank and this thread helped me diagnose it. Thank you.

Scraper, razor, and magic eraser do nothing. Noticed it on my Innovative Marine 50 gallon after just a few months. Definitely won’t be buying from them again.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just having a similar issue with my tank and this thread helped me diagnose it. Thank you.

Scraper, razor, and magic eraser do nothing. Noticed it on my Innovative Marine 50 gallon after just a few months. Definitely won’t be buying from them again.

That is a real bummer,Have you contacted IM about the issue?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back