Floating Glass Aquarium base?

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who else is using a tank with a "floating glass" bottom? This is where the bottom glass sits inside the outside panels vs the outside panels sitting on top of a panel of glass.

I'm about to fill my tank and want to see/hear how others have dealt with this.

>>> I'm only asking because I have the exact concern mentioned in this post (stolen from another site).

1698556553901.png

??? What is holding the outside panels up if they are only supported by foam and not supported by structure - should I trust the silicone to keep the panels up or will the floating bottom be forced up by the mat under it.

Opinions, examples and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who else is using a tank with a "floating glass" bottom? This is where the bottom glass sits inside the outside panels vs the outside panels sitting on top of a panel of glass.
To me, floating would mean a rimmed tank where the bottom panel doesn't touch the stand, but instead, rest on the frame.
What is holding the outside panels up if they are only supported by foam and not supported by structure - should I trust the silicone to keep the panels up or will the floating bottom be forced up by the mat under it.
In your case. It sounds like the bottom panel rests on the stand, and the vertical panels also rest on the stand. Where usually, on a rimless tank, the bottom rests on the stand and the vertical panels rest on the bottom glass.

Either way, the panels are all supported by the stand.

Foam would be used on rimless/frameless tanks to account for any small imperfections in the stand that could be a pressure point on the bottom panel.

I would probably use foam in this case, but never on a rimmed tank. What kind of tank is it? Do you know if the manufacturer recommends foam?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back