Starphire Scratches

Luwe2008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have an Elos 160xl Tank just a few moths old. Maybe around 6 months old now. I keep finding scratches and tiny chips in the glass and I am trying to figure out why is this happening? I started using a magic eraser to prevent possible scratching with algae scrubers. I only have two tangs and a clownfish pair in my tank. What can possibly be causing this?!?

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the scratches on the glass itself or inside of the glass pane? Tiny chips does not sound good. Glass scratches and there's not much we can do to avoid that. Were you using a MagFloat or another form of algae magnet before you went to the magic eraser?

Legion Aire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I purchased my aquarium, that has starfire glass, I was warned that it scratches easily. I would think that any object you use to clean your glass has a pertinacity to scratch the glass if sand or other debris gets between it and the glass.

OP
OP
L

Luwe2008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the scratches on the glass itself or inside of the glass pane? Tiny chips does not sound good. Glass scratches and there's not much we can do to avoid that. Were you using a MagFloat or another form of algae magnet before you went to the magic eraser?

Its on the glass pane itself. I can feel them with my fingernail. And I used a Mag Float before, But even after I stopped I keep finding little scratches every here and there and I dont understand what is causing it.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a snail that has a sharp part on its shell so when it grazes on the glass it drags against the glass?

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been noticing some small scratches too on my ADA 120p, but they are all close together and all run diagonal in the same direction and are towards the top not near the sand. I use a magfloat but only go up and down and side to side, not diagonal. I removed most of my snails a few weeks ago to see if they are the culprit, but still too early to tell. Do your scratches run in a similar direction or are they grouped together? Your chips should probably be a concern though. I would love to figure this out!!!

OP
OP
L

Luwe2008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been noticing some small scratches too on my ADA 120p, but they are all close together and all run diagonal in the same direction and are towards the top not near the sand. I use a magfloat but only go up and down and side to side, not diagonal. I removed most of my snails a few weeks ago to see if they are the culprit, but still too early to tell. Do your scratches run in a similar direction or are they grouped together? Your chips should probably be a concern though. I would love to figure this out!!!

Yes they are tiny little pin hole chips. and the scratches are close together and run vertical on mine. So Weird!

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same damage to my tank not really noticeable really with a metal scraper till I figured it out. Now i use a plastic one and a plastic paint scraper to clean my glass.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back