Starphire Scratches

Luwe2008

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have an Elos 160xl Tank just a few moths old. Maybe around 6 months old now. I keep finding scratches and tiny chips in the glass and I am trying to figure out why is this happening? I started using a magic eraser to prevent possible scratching with algae scrubers. I only have two tangs and a clownfish pair in my tank. What can possibly be causing this?!?
 
Are the scratches on the glass itself or inside of the glass pane? Tiny chips does not sound good. Glass scratches and there's not much we can do to avoid that. Were you using a MagFloat or another form of algae magnet before you went to the magic eraser?
 
When I purchased my aquarium, that has starfire glass, I was warned that it scratches easily. I would think that any object you use to clean your glass has a pertinacity to scratch the glass if sand or other debris gets between it and the glass.
 
Are the scratches on the glass itself or inside of the glass pane? Tiny chips does not sound good. Glass scratches and there's not much we can do to avoid that. Were you using a MagFloat or another form of algae magnet before you went to the magic eraser?

Its on the glass pane itself. I can feel them with my fingernail. And I used a Mag Float before, But even after I stopped I keep finding little scratches every here and there and I dont understand what is causing it.
 
Do you have a snail that has a sharp part on its shell so when it grazes on the glass it drags against the glass?
 
I've been noticing some small scratches too on my ADA 120p, but they are all close together and all run diagonal in the same direction and are towards the top not near the sand. I use a magfloat but only go up and down and side to side, not diagonal. I removed most of my snails a few weeks ago to see if they are the culprit, but still too early to tell. Do your scratches run in a similar direction or are they grouped together? Your chips should probably be a concern though. I would love to figure this out!!!
 
I've been noticing some small scratches too on my ADA 120p, but they are all close together and all run diagonal in the same direction and are towards the top not near the sand. I use a magfloat but only go up and down and side to side, not diagonal. I removed most of my snails a few weeks ago to see if they are the culprit, but still too early to tell. Do your scratches run in a similar direction or are they grouped together? Your chips should probably be a concern though. I would love to figure this out!!!

Yes they are tiny little pin hole chips. and the scratches are close together and run vertical on mine. So Weird!
 
I did the same damage to my tank not really noticeable really with a metal scraper till I figured it out. Now i use a plastic one and a plastic paint scraper to clean my glass.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new