Starry Blenny Behavior

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Starry Blenny in hopes that he might eat Ulva or graze on some algae. Unfortunately this Starry Blenny does not behave like any algae Blenny that I have owned in the past. I added him 3 months ago and he has not touched anything green since day 1. I have owned Salfin/Alage Blennies in the past and have never seen behavior like this. This is the first Starry Blenny I have owned. Does anyone else's Starry Blenny behave like this?

1. Loves carnivore pellet food. I switched to TDO chromoboost and he did not like it very much, so I found him eating a turbo snail. I saw him actually flicking the snail shell against a rock. I switched back to Saki-Hikari carnivore pellet food and he is eating the pellet food again. His stomach is not pinched and is huge, so he definitely isn't starving.

2. Spits sand all over. This Blenny acts like he is a dang engineer goby moving my sand all over the place. His favorite spot is spitting the sand on top of my Poletti Jawbreaker mushroom box. Algae blennies I have had in the past never messed with the sand and just seemed to cruise around the tank or perch and chill on equipment just looking around.

3. Likes to hide/camouflage. I believe this Satan Blenny is secretly plotting my demise. I always find him hidden in the rocks changing colors to camouflage. I believe he has even dug a burrow under a rock in the back of my tank that he retreats to when I am looking closely at the tank. The sailfin blennies I had were always out and never dug a secret hideout to plot their evil plans.

Did I just buy a one off possessed Starry Blenny?

Pic of the Demon Fish either planning my demise or about to spit a fresh batch of sand on my jawbreaker.
20210108_141511.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty spot on. Mine is the same way after 2.5 years. It’s my favorite fish though; tons of personality! I forgive her for not knowing she’s supposed to eat algae.

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience...In addition mine decided to eat the Yellow Watchman Goby that I added as well. An unfortunate and somewhat expensive snack for a Starry Blenny.

Mine also spits sand all over as well. I'm hoping one day he suffers from a bowel obstruction and meets his maker.

OP
OP
dtrick

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience...In addition mine decided to eat the Yellow Watchman Goby that I added as well. An unfortunate and somewhat expensive snack for a Starry Blenny.

Mine also spits sand all over as well. I'm hoping one day he suffers from a bowel obstruction and meets his maker.
I really thought they were just a cooler looking version of Sailfin Blennies and would behave the same. If he goes after one of my other fish, especially any of my wrasses, he will live in my sump unless a LFS around me will take him back.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had one eat a snail or fish. o_O And they always eat algae.

They are unique, and have a ton of personality. They are the one fish that will always be in my tank.

My wife dubbed my current starry the "old man". When he turns his "eyebrows" and "whiskers" stark white when he's excited, my wife says he looks like an old man.

OP
OP
dtrick

dtrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had one eat a snail or fish. o_O And they always eat algae.

They are unique, and have a ton of personality. They are the one fish that will always be in my tank.

My wife dubbed my current starry the "old man". When he turns his "eyebrows" and "whiskers" stark white when he's excited, my wife says he looks like an old man.
I do like that he changes colors to match surroundings. Hopefully now that he has his favorite food again, he will not thrash another snail.

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
My Starry blenny had so much personality. It would sit on my frag rack right up on the glass and just watch me. She loved food and would always graze the rocks. Never effective in algae removal but it is hands down my favorite fish. It's essentially a dog in fish form lol.

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that my Starry Blenny is a very lazy fish as well. Likes to swim to the overflow and let the current pin him against the wall so he won’t have to swim or do anything as he sleeps.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back