Starry Blenny murder or opportunist

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to get your thoughts on the likely aggressiveness of a starry blenny. I recently lost my melanurus wrasse which I thought was healthy. As he was fading away I saw my starry blenny biting aggressively several times the ailing wrasse. I also suspect this guy is responsible for the loss of my coral beauty and cleaner shrimp.
Do you think I have a rouge SB?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last two I had, different tanks, were both fish killers and once I figured it out it explained a lot of missing healthy fish.

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the thread. The root of the problem was a blenny specifically a leopard blenny which eat coral flesh not a starry blenny. It was sold to the aquarist as a starry blenny. So I guess the lesson of the story is double check identification of the fish with another source?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think blennies are aggressive, on another post I saw a lawnmower Benny on the same situation. I saw one at a store that was attacking fish nonstop. I thought my flameback was really bad until i saw this guy.

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned him last week. And picked up a nice small tail spot. We’re back to a nice harmonious tank now. I’m sticking to smaller fish from now on.
One big clue I missed/ignored was the size. The leopard was far bigger than what I expected to receive.

Anyway, live and learn!

Actually the leopard blenny is now missing (not from me, I promise). Corals show no additional damage. So, my theory is he either jumped out and my cat took care of the problem, or he dies in tank for some reason and CUC took care of the problem.

Anyway as long as he’s gone I’m happy. I’ll be monitoring the tank closely for a long while in case he’s somehow been hiding and able to elude my eyes.

Back