Start of the uglies

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uglies are beginning to start. I went to a 75 gallon tank coming from a 40 breeder. Seeing the lightest dusting of diatoms and some golden-brown algae (doesn’t look like chrysophytes but it could be) and I’m anxious.

Will it be like the ugly phase in my 40 breeder where it seemed to bounce between cyano/GHA and NEVER resolve? Or will it actually be tolerable where the constant problems won’t cause me to lose interest in the tank? I really hope the ugly phase is manageable here because the 40 breeder in the 2 years I had it always had some sort of nuisance algae and I could never grow coralline. They say bigger tanks are more stable and I hope they’re right.

Unfortunately I burned my dominant hand (non 4th of July related) so I can’t stick it in there to siphon the diatoms up. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on a lot of factors, ie: filtration, water parameters, etc.
Fortunately, I have an FX-4 and not my old 407. Although the 407 could support the new 75, the FX-4 just has way more space for media and bacterial growth. When I was setting the tank up, it cleared the tank cloudiness up (from sand) in like 30 minutes. So, I really hope the uglies are quick and painless.

Ran some water tests yesterday which showed I had some high phosphate (.18ppm) and my dKH was too high at 14. Everything else was in line. I blame that on me double mixing with pH buffer (which also buffers dKH) and using red sea coral pro. I'm willing to bet that after a water change or two it'll come down to normal range. No ill effects seen but my GSP is closed, all other corals open.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods....lots of copepods have helped me in the past.
I'll be setting up one of the Aquaclear 110 HOB filters here soon to use a chaeto refugium. I'm gonna throw some sand, rock rubble and chaeto in there. Help keep phos/nitrate down and also provide some copepods for dragonets in the future.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back