Started 6 months ago...been reading this forum...wanted to ask a question about a fin problem

motek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...my name is Michael, and I have been patiently setting up, cycling, fighting off algae, and relearning chem lab from student days. I have a Red Sea XL300 and enjoying the process tremendously. I do have a question about a problem that just appeared about two days ago with the weirdest/coolest fish...the Foxface Rabbitfish. It has developed a couple of white spots on its right pectoral fin, that now looks like the fin is fraying a bit. I do a very strict quarantine process, 30 days in the QT, with daily water changes of about 10-15%, maintaining Cupramine at .45-.5 ppm for two weeks. This fish has been clear for a week and a half now, and these symptoms showed up. The fish is active, eats regularly and enthusiastically, shows no other symptoms of anything. And, the tank has two sponge filters, a few pvc pipe pieces, and a side-attached pump. I'm attaching some photos for anyone's perusal and/or help.

OK...am not sure that I needed to insert the humongous pictures...just learning. Anyway, it's nice to be here. I've been impressed with how helpful everyone is. Thanks!

20220427_142113.jpg
20220427_142117.jpg
20220427_104614.jpg
20220427_104737.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...my name is Michael, and I have been patiently setting up, cycling, fighting off algae, and relearning chem lab from student days. I have a Red Sea XL300 and enjoying the process tremendously. I do have a question about a problem that just appeared about two days ago with the weirdest/coolest fish...the Foxface Rabbitfish. It has developed a couple of white spots on its right pectoral fin, that now looks like the fin is fraying a bit. I do a very strict quarantine process, 30 days in the QT, with daily water changes of about 10-15%, maintaining Cupramine at .45-.5 ppm for two weeks. This fish has been clear for a week and a half now, and these symptoms showed up. The fish is active, eats regularly and enthusiastically, shows no other symptoms of anything. And, the tank has two sponge filters, a few pvc pipe pieces, and a side-attached pump. I'm attaching some photos for anyone's perusal and/or help.

OK...am not sure that I needed to insert the humongous pictures...just learning. Anyway, it's nice to be here. I've been impressed with how helpful everyone is. Thanks!

20220427_142113.jpg
20220427_142117.jpg
20220427_104614.jpg
20220427_104737.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef Michael!

The fin marks look like minor damage. I also think I see some scuff marks on its body. Neither seem too serious.
Have you considered adding praziquantel to your quarantine to deal with possible flukes?
Jay

OP
OP
motek

motek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I knew someone would respond to those 'markings'. They are actually the reflection of some calculations that I had been doing about Cupramine dosage amounts...on a paper outside the tank. Definitely not serious.
At the same time, I will check into the possibility of flukes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back