Starter additives

  • Thread starter Thread starter CKW
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CKW

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2023
Messages
236
Reaction score
344
Location
Myrtle Beach
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What new tank starter additive works?
 
Yes, thanks
 
If you are using dry dead rock to start, I recommend Fritz Turbo 900 for cycling.

If you use live rock, especially real ocean rock, there is no need for added bacteria.
 
FWIW I used Fritz Turbo Start and it works just like the directions said. I was skeptical but I’d recommend it. You do need a fish to provide an ammonia source. I used the proverbial clown fish
 
FWIW I used Fritz Turbo Start and it works just like the directions said. I was skeptical but I’d recommend it. You do need a fish to provide an ammonia source. I used the proverbial clown fish

I recommend just dosing ammonia as the source.
 
Excellent thanks. That’s what I’ll use. BTW live ocean rocks. BTW I live in Myrtle Beach and have access. 😎
 
Excellent thanks. That’s what I’ll use. BTW live ocean rocks. BTW I live in Myrtle Beach and have access. 😎
Please just be careful not to violate any local laws by removing rock from where that may be frowned upon 🙃

From both my experience, and from having followed A LOT of "how do I cycle my tank" threads here on R2R, I would say:
  • 'Real', wet live rock from a reputable local fish store, another hobbyist, or, ideally, from an ocean mariculture facility such as Tampa Bay Saltwater - nearly instant cycle. Even using a small percentage of live rock/dry rock can be helpful to 'seed' you system with beneficial microbes.
  • Fritz TurboStart specifically can work in a very short period of time - 24 to 48 hours for "fish safe", if you will. This product may or may not contain the organisms that would be responsible for processing nitrogenous waste in our tanks long-term, but who cares, in my opinion? It seems to work and fast 🙂
  • Almost all other methods, such as the "shrimp" method, and almost all other bottled bacteria such as Dr. Tim's One And Only, Microbacter7, and others will take about 3 weeks, give or take.
I hope this helps; good luck!
 
I dosed a small amount of ammonium to bring ammonia to about 3ppm then I put in a bottle of Fritz Turbo Start 900. It was cycled fairly quick
 
I've used Dr tims one and only and never had any issues with it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new