Starting a 200+ gallon FOWLR

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will post more pics soon but I am starting a FOWLR tank that is approximately 240 gallons with built in filtration. I am mostly looking for any advice on ways to save money on this project (I know it’s expensive no matter what). Planning on stocking it with your typical fish a tang or two, puffers, triggers, or basically any fish along those lines that will live cohesively. Looking for easy to care for hardy fish. I have previously successfully had 29g a 40g and a 75g tanks I haven’t had a tank in about 2 years and have been dying to get back into it. Also looking for things like:
How much live rock
How much substrate
What substrate is best (might have a snowflake eel)
What is your favorite fish under $40
Tips and Tricks
Thanks in advance.
93DC7F59-9F4D-411C-BD10-FE4090C97CB7.png

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of live rock depends on bioload and the look you like. How many sleeping spaces necessary for each fish. Substrate all depends on your preference bare bottom or an inch or more depending on if you want sand sifters or not. Tangs puffers and triggers are all more on the aggressive side as well as a snowflake eel. A fish under $40 that fits with agressive tank mates would probably be dwarf angels and even at 40 that could be hard to find. Some non safe wrasses would work as well.
Good Luck and have fun with the build.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the fun.

My advice is the tank will tell you how many you can have as you make your journey. The issue is going to be what kind of filtration is it has and can you add to it. It looks like it is a freshwater tank. Which would indicate canister filters to me. Which are ok if you do regular maintenance. Does it have a sump? Can you add one? Can you add an algae scrubber or refugium, Skimmer ? If the answer is no then the amount of rock and having a sand substrate will be key. Remember you can always add as you go . Short term you may be ok with what the tank came with and if you keep to a light bio load. Go slow and test your water along the way. Dont just dump a bunch of fish in and see what happens. My suggestion would be to build a stocking plan, get some people on here to review and provide suggestions. Especially important is the order of fish going in with aggressive fish.

FYI - I have had reef tanks with canisters only. The key is changing the filter floss twice a week if you can, worse case once a week and doing a complete clean out of the bottom of the canister monthly. You can also run multiple. i have a 150 semi-aggressive FOWLR. I have eels, wrasses, triggers and a few other odds and ends. The biggest issue I face is nutrient export. I never have enough.

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the fun.

My advice is the tank will tell you how many you can have as you make your journey. The issue is going to be what kind of filtration is it has and can you add to it. It looks like it is a freshwater tank. Which would indicate canister filters to me. Which are ok if you do regular maintenance. Does it have a sump? Can you add one? Can you add an algae scrubber or refugium, Skimmer ? If the answer is no then the amount of rock and having a sand substrate will be key. Remember you can always add as you go . Short term you may be ok with what the tank came with and if you keep to a light bio load. Go slow and test your water along the way. Dont just dump a bunch of fish in and see what happens. My suggestion would be to build a stocking plan, get some people on here to review and provide suggestions. Especially important is the order of fish going in with aggressive fish.

FYI - I have had reef tanks with canisters only. The key is changing the filter floss twice a week if you can, worse case once a week and doing a complete clean out of the bottom of the canister monthly. You can also run multiple. i have a 150 semi-aggressive FOWLR. I have eels, wrasses, triggers and a few other odds and ends. The biggest issue I face is nutrient export. I never have enough.
The filtration system is built in the entire back wall haven’t got a good understanding of how it works yet but I also have an extra canister filter rated for 100g that I plan on adding to the mix once I figure out what media to use in it. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of live rock depends on bioload and the look you like. How many sleeping spaces necessary for each fish. Substrate all depends on your preference bare bottom or an inch or more depending on if you want sand sifters or not. Tangs puffers and triggers are all more on the aggressive side as well as a snowflake eel. A fish under $40 that fits with agressive tank mates would probably be dwarf angels and even at 40 that could be hard to find. Some non safe wrasses would work as well.
Good Luck and have fun with the build.
I plan on having a medium/small bioload, I don’t intend on having all of the species listed in my post just a couple.

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures will be posted tonight when I pick it up. Then the fun begins. Any lighting suggestions don’t intend on having any corals.

Last edited:

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you arent going to have corals then you can go with any cheaper light. On my 6ft I have 2 older MARS LEDs. I have a USA that I got at a garage sale. I havent had time to set it up. You can upgrade over time. Good luck picking up. Very exciting.

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you arent going to have corals then you can go with any cheaper light. On my 6ft I have 2 older MARS LEDs. I have a USA that I got at a garage sale. I havent had time to set it up. You can upgrade over time. Good luck picking up. Very exciting.
137EAF66-E9C9-4C6D-BAE6-58AD98206C7C.jpeg
B5E38762-1C7B-46FD-8A4E-2F863006C946.jpeg
368EE4B3-A8A4-4EFD-A6FC-A74B194A944C.jpeg
04089855-8A71-4547-9EE3-3F05E2454B23.jpeg
844BF65D-4FD7-462D-AC86-C16AE5C49DBE.jpeg

Obviously a deep clean is needed but this is the filtration system. Any advice on cleaning it and running it would be great. Thanks

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by doing a water test making sure that it doesnt have any leaks. Then get the large bottles of vinegar and it to the water. I think 10 gallons of water to 1 gallon of vinegar. I would put a power head or 2 if you have them. just move the power heads around every few hours. Let it sit for a day or so. You may have to do it twice.

Looks like you are going to have lots of room for filtration. It just a big all in one design. Very cool.

Do some searches on here about bioballs. There are different views.

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by doing a water test making sure that it doesnt have any leaks. Then get the large bottles of vinegar and it to the water. I think 10 gallons of water to 1 gallon of vinegar. I would put a power head or 2 if you have them. just move the power heads around every few hours. Let it sit for a day or so. You may have to do it twice.

Looks like you are going to have lots of room for filtration. It just a big all in one design. Very cool.

Do some searches on here about bioballs. There are different views.

Okay its cleaned out and is ready to go. What would you use in those chambers. I have a few different filtration pads running on the left side as well as the center where all the water initially comes in. I have a lot of space to run whatever will fit. (Thats not actually how my electrical is set up)
BEA67476-14A4-42D7-B030-D5AA4119B42F.jpeg

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caleb,

My 2 cents is that you start out with that and see what your parms do.

What method of cycle do you plan to do ? If you are not sure go look at the BRS Video on https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brs-wwc-hybrid-update-2020/

Because you are planning a FOWLR you wont need to go as long. But it will provide solid info. I just did this process for my upgrade to 120. So far at 6 months no uglies.

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use shrimp, get ammonium chloride and biospira to cycle quickly imo.

I would personally fill the entire filtration section with seachem matrix, leaving space for optional carbon, reactor pump room ect.

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use shrimp, get ammonium chloride and biospira to cycle quickly imo.

I would personally fill the entire filtration section with seachem matrix, leaving space for optional carbon, reactor pump room ect.

Is there a certain reason you advise against cycling with shrimp?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a certain reason you advise against cycling with shrimp?

No, just that it will take a long time, the method I outlined will have tank cycled in less then a week, but closer to two or three days.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back