Starting a Coral QT and Grow out. Questions...

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking at starting a Coral QT / Grow out tank and I have a couple of questions. I am looking at a 31G Lagoon AIO for this. I will simply have frag racks in the tank with coral frags. Not sure about inverts but no fish for now. The purpose of the tank is a place where I can keep new frags for observation and maybe growth before placing in my main display tank. I have not run a coral only tank so my questions are...

1. How much do I need to worry about biological filtration? Will a tank with no fish generate a lot of ammonia / nitrite / nitrate?

2. What would water change requirements be on a tank like this?

Any other thoughts or suggestions on this project will be appreciated.

Thanks!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at starting a Coral QT / Grow out tank and I have a couple of questions. I am looking at a 31G Lagoon AIO for this. I will simply have frag racks in the tank with coral frags. Not sure about inverts but no fish for now. The purpose of the tank is a place where I can keep new frags for observation and maybe growth before placing in my main display tank. I have not run a coral only tank so my questions are...

1. How much do I need to worry about biological filtration? Will a tank with no fish generate a lot of ammonia / nitrite / nitrate?

Thanks!
1. you'll want the same level of biologicial filtration, i.e mature rock or bio media. You can place this in the AIO filter chamber instead of display, of course
2. 10% weekly is always a good idea.

Finally, you probably will want some fish to provide organics to the corals. Wrasse or damsels are good for pod/pest control and won't bother corals.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

1. The nitrogen cycle won't be much of a concern, but it wouldn't hurt to add something to handle it. To be honest, I would put a small thing of rock (something a fish could hide and sleep around) and a small algae eating fish or two). The corals will appreciate it and you can throw in a little bit of macro algae to handle excess waste if its an issue. It all depends on if this is more of a grow out or a QT. A QT should be easily cleaned and easy to spot pests.

2. Possible none. It all depends on what all you want to supplement and test.

3. The main thing about a coral grow out is you need to treat it like any other tank. Good flow, lots of algae eaters, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back