Acro grow out rack

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of choices available for frag racks, I know. But I’m not quite seeing what I have pictured in my head out there. What I’m thinking is pretty simple, I want to go ahead and remove my acro frags from the plugs and put them straight onto 3” tiles for grow out. But the tiles obviously take up way more space. The only areas In my tank I could put these are on magnetic shelf’s. Either on the glass or back wall. I can find shelf’s out there, but when it’s said and done the majority of the large ones I find will still only hold 3 or 4 max… maybe this is something I bring to a 3D printer and conceptually put something together? Or maybe somebody out there has an idea I’m not thinking of.
Also, no room on current rock work, it will really have to be isolated to the glass/walls.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can order a custom made one from companies like PNW and others.

Or you can design and laser cut it from acrylic, it’s simple as uploading a file to a laser cutting service.

And yes, you can also 3D print one, but you’ll be limited to the size of the print bed.

If you don’t need holes in it (since these are tiles), you can also just get a plain sheet of acrylic and weld a thin border from all sides to prevent the tiles from falling down.

In all 3 of the last options you’ll also need to attach a strong reef safe magnet, some companies sell those separately from the products they are made for and can be fitted to a custom solution using a 3D printed mount, or encasing it in an acrylic box welded to the shelf.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can order a custom made one from companies like PNW and others.

Or you can design and laser cut it from acrylic, it’s simple as uploading a file to a laser cutting service.

And yes, you can also 3D print one, but you’ll be limited to the size of the print bed.

If you don’t need holes in it (since these are tiles), you can also just get a plain sheet of acrylic and weld a thin border from all sides to prevent the tiles from falling down.

In all 3 of the last options you’ll also need to attach a strong reef safe magnet, some companies sell those separately from the products they are made for and can be fitted to a custom solution using a 3D printed mount, or encasing it in an acrylic box welded to the shelf.
This is good info! Thank you.
Since these are what you came up with as ideas, which would you personally choose as your first option?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First option will obviously be a custom made solution by a reputable company, because they’ll handle the magnets for me.

Otherwise, and if I don’t need any cutouts - I’ll likely get a sheet of acrylic, heat it up and bend it to make an L shape, than weld a border to the lower part of the shelf, and glue already encased magnets to the upper part of the shelf.

Another idea is to take an egg crate and 3D print mounts that will sit on the glass - this is likely the easiest and cheaper solution out of them all, as you don’t even need to source magnets.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This big boy will hold a few?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This big boy will hold a few?

This would hold only 3 tiles.
OP is looking for monster size lol

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed this and had it created but it uses 2x2 tiles instead of 3”

It will accept corals already mounted to 2x2, or it comes with 3d printed tiles with a hole in the center so they don’t even have to remove the frag from the plug. You can just place the plug in the tile and let the acro encrust over the plug and onto the tile.

I have a few of these in a row so I can individually adjust height as needed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back