Coral frag growout system - created!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common situation For many I’m sure - I have a coral on a standard plug that I wanted to grow out. Currently it’s on a standard magnetic shelf for holding frag plugs. I have it about 50% high on the glass, in a area of good flow.

I want to transfer to a grow out tile but then I need to put it on the sand, and the par is reduced, flow is different, and I risk damaging it if I attempt to remove it from the plug, etc

Started looking for magnetic shelves that hold grow out tiles - couldn’t find any anywhere

I designed a system and worked with a 3d printer to bring my idea to life. There are a few parts to this system

1) a magnetic shelf that is designed to hold a standard 2x2 ceramic tile.
2) 3d printed 2x2 tiles with a hole in the middle that can be bought cheap. Surface side is roughed up so coral can encrust and grab on securely

Concept -

you buy a plug that has a sps, zoanthids, whatever. It’s on the stupid frag plug. Hard to get few random zoas off a frag plug, or a sps that’s started to encrust.

You put the plug - stem and all, into the 3d printed tile, which has a hole for the stem to go in. You can glue it in place to keep it secure

You put the tile in the shelf where your coral is already used to growing, or in a spot more ideal than the sand bed. Or if you are already using your own 2x2 tile and need to free up sandbed room or find better conditions, you can use the magnetic shelf for that also

Coral will naturally grow over the stupid plug, and onto the larger grow out tile. SPS will grow out and form a very nice sized base before encrusting upwards. Zoas and acan and other things will have a nice flat surface making it easier and faster for them to grow also

When it’s filled you can move the tile and you’ll have a decent colony instead of a plug and take a replacement tile and do it all over again with the shelf and another coral plug. If you want to frag the tile, it’s plastic and easier and cleaner to cut compared to ceramic tile

Anyone like this idea? This kit will be in production soon, I get mine on Monday. My 3d guy has a store and three 3d printers running round the clock. If you want to get a set I can provide his contact info. He makes other cool reefing gear also. I make no money from this, just wanted to fill a void in the hobby.

Pics show it securely holding the weight of a ceramic tile, and showing a 3d printed tile with a standard frag plug in the hole

Let me know what you think!

02850AD9-D976-45B7-89A9-FE76F6F1D64A.jpeg 9426817C-97A0-4EEA-832C-061CC2953305.jpeg 641A1680-6608-4CDE-AB37-532A7708A9B1.jpeg 2203DC26-D528-409E-B710-BB8E0ACDEF58.jpeg 073CD78C-9567-4859-B94B-55CE8E9F8F3B.jpeg 964BA07E-3084-40BF-977A-1255451DA675.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea. Been using 2x2 tiles for grow out plates for all the reasons you noted.
Couple suggestions.
All black holders. Good for anywhere but more for back wall racks that wouldn't have the neon sign glow.
Octagon tiles. For not square look when relocating after grow out and placement on or within aquascape.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback!

My printer/seller said these can be customized to be made in any color or shape. If interested just reach out to the seller with a message and he can make those adjustments

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back