Starting a RedSea Reefer and have issues...

flfrosty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from my EVO 13.5 to a Red Sea Reefer G2+ 200.

I have thoughts...

Overall I am excited and like the tank. Took some time to figure out how to configure everything in the sump.

The ReefBeat app is quite terrible and not at all intuitive.
1) Controlling the light - screen rotates into lanscape mode but then rotates when you rotate the phone. Hard to just find the on/off button
2) Unusable on a tablet

RedSea pump wont connect to ReefRun Controller. Checked cabling multiple times but no luck.

10 miles of cable in a small box makes cable management a pain.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from my EVO 13.5 to a Red Sea Reefer G2+ 200.

I have thoughts...

Overall I am excited and like the tank. Took some time to figure out how to configure everything in the sump.

The ReefBeat app is quite terrible and not at all intuitive.
1) Controlling the light - screen rotates into lanscape mode but then rotates when you rotate the phone. Hard to just find the on/off button
2) Unusable on a tablet

RedSea pump wont connect to ReefRun Controller. Checked cabling multiple times but no luck.

10 miles of cable in a small box makes cable management a pain.
Only way I found to stop the rotating thing was to put rotation lock on my phone (always have it on anyway) but that seems to stop it from doing that

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a bit a cable management and place your controllers on a board. Works well.

Put plugs and stuff outside the cabinet to clear up clutter. And do it all all while the tank is still empty, makes it way easier to arrange wires and stuff.

IMG_0776.jpeg IMG_0775.jpeg

OP
OP
flfrosty

flfrosty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way I found to stop the rotating thing was to put rotation lock on my phone (always have it on anyway) but that seems to stop it from doing that
Thanks for the tip. I want to use an older ipad for the controller so need to look into changing the setting there as well.

OP
OP
flfrosty

flfrosty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a bit a cable management and place your controllers on a board. Works well.

Put plugs and stuff outside the cabinet to clear up clutter. And do it all all while the tank is still empty, makes it way easier to arrange wires and stuff.

IMG_0776.jpeg IMG_0775.jpeg
Thanks for the pics and tips. I do notice that you aren't using the dosing pump. Be warned that it is much thicker than the other controllers and won't work with the pullout panel. That was my issue.

I also have my tank arranged in a corner so putting the electronics behind the cabinet makes them impossible to get to with water in the tank. I have tried to make it so I can pull the cables from behind the cabinet into the sump tank if needed.

Let me know if you have issues with the ReefRun Controller and the DC pump. I can't get mine to connect.

Again, thanks for the pics. Good luck and I would love to see more as you progress to parallel what I am seeing.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Red Sea tanks…
…every issue you mentioned is real…
…you might cop one of their slider boards
clear cable clips
Here is my setup.
Get some black PVC cable management square tubing from Amazon, used for hiding cables on walls and get the expandable cable management system to combine multiple cables into one for wiring not in the square PVC tubes.

Works both with slider open and closed.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0838.jpeg
    IMG_0838.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0836.jpeg
    IMG_0836.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 49

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pics and tips. I do notice that you aren't using the dosing pump. Be warned that it is much thicker than the other controllers and won't work with the pullout panel. That was my issue.

I also have my tank arranged in a corner so putting the electronics behind the cabinet makes them impossible to get to with water in the tank. I have tried to make it so I can pull the cables from behind the cabinet into the sump tank if needed.

Let me know if you have issues with the ReefRun Controller and the DC pump. I can't get mine to connect.

Again, thanks for the pics. Good luck and I would love to see more as you progress to parallel what I am seeing.
No issues with any of the Redsea stuff.
DC pump and skimmer are dead silent and work without a problem.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks a lot like mine incl the black clips…what is the gizmo on top of the skimmer cup?
That is the automatic skimmer adjustment to control both foam and water level in the skimmer. Also controlled by ReefRun controller. Will decrease skimmer pump when skimmate is too wet and slow pumps down when cup is full.

Came with the skimmer from RedSea

OP
OP
flfrosty

flfrosty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas and pics, thanks. I assume you (DoctorGori) aren't going to be adding a ReefDose pump?

My DC Reefer pump is running quietly. My issue is connectivity to the controller. I have mated/demated/swapped the T cable between pump, power and controller but the red light on the controller is still dim and the app indicates it cant find the pump. Super annoying and making me feel like an idiot haha.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back