starting a refugium

flobup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got my sump built, planning to plumb it in today, what should I start off with in my refuge? planning on keeping 2 damsels, 2 clowns, an angel, and a goby as well as a mixture of sps corals.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any specific reason you are setting up a fuge ?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start when Cheato and then introduce different macro algae

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my fuge and put chaeto in and it fell apart, is it suppose to do that?
not really.

have you measured nitrates?

If there is not enough nutrients macros will kinda die off to some point where the nutrients can support them. could be lighting also.

but generally with nutrients and light the macros thrive.

occasionally the shock of a new environment can result in "going sexual" for sexual reproduction vrs asexual or "cuttings" type reproduction. Especially if there is a green tint released into the water. Usually that is temporary and the macros recover.

my .02

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates are 0.28 as of this afternoon. I have the Chaeto Max 2 in 1 Refugium Light.

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto I got was golf ball size but didn’t look that great when we got it. I also have a small pump to turn it slowly.I have ordered more chaeto.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates are 0.28 as of this afternoon. I have the Chaeto Max 2 in 1 Refugium Light.

How big is your fuge? I just set up a fuge in the rear sump of my 20 gal Fusion. A very small section in one of the compartments in the back. I'm not that impressed with the amount of light the IM 2 and 1 is putting out. I've read that one member is using 3 of those lights in his rear fuge. Time will tell.

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the CPR CITR 2 in tank refugium with pump. It’s only been up a couple of days. Added Copepods and Phyto from Algae Barn.

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my fuge and put chaeto in and it fell apart, is it suppose to do that?

Please don't take this as intentionally disagreeable; chaeto can fall apart for any number of reasons but it really depends on what you mean by "Fall apart."
There's nothing holding chaeto strands together outside of their growth patterns, so you could have a bunch of individual strands in you refugium that haven't had time to "grow into a ball" and they are still healthy. It depends on where the chaeto came from, like did the source cut off a chunk or did they combine small chunks into one "ball" that did not have time to grow into a mass? Basically, if the chaeto is maintaining it's color (light or dark green) and producing bubbles under light then it's alive and you don't have to order more *yet.

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, still learning. My wife and I have only been reefers for a
little over a year.

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the information. It is still dark green and lots of bubbles circling around it.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll toss out there that some interesting things can be done in a fuge, even a small one. Lighting for the fuge will be a big consideration - red spectrum for power algae growth or a full spectrum. In terms of small fuges, consider some bioballs or rubble on the bottom for cryptic area (grow some sponges for that angel to supplement his diet) and cheato or caulerpa above. Xenia fuges are cool and can export some nutrients for $$. If footprint is scarce and bioload will be high, consider an algae reactor or turf scrubber. (someone posting on this thread might be selling a few gently used ones haha)

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How soon after you put it in did it fall apart? I just cycled my tank in January and started my fuge. I seeded my fuge with copepods and amphipods while my fish were in QT.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%

Back