starting a refugium

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys need some chaeto, pm me your addresses. I’m almost ready to pull some out of my fuge. I would rather someone get some use out of it instead of tossing it in the trash. I will also need someone to tell me the best way to package it so that it survives the trip.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CPR Aquafuge medium hang on back (it's on the side though) refugium on my Red Sea 260. It has done a great job of lowering my nitrates/phosphates as well as house a nice pod population. Every month or so, I have to remove some of the chaeto as it becomes overgrown.

A few weeks back I started using GFO in an effort to keep some algae in the DT away. I ended up lowering the phospates to zero with my low range hanna checker. My chaeto is shrinking and my regium is ultra clear right now. It's usually full of chaeto and other algae gunk. If you keep too low of nutrients or use an alternative nutrient transport method you may not have enough nutrients to keep your chaeto growing.

I've removed the GFO and usually only use some BRS Rox Carbon here and there. I'll let the phosphate level increase and I bet my chaeto takes off again.

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CPR Aquafuge medium hang on back (it's on the side though) refugium on my Red Sea 260. It has done a great job of lowering my nitrates/phosphates as well as house a nice pod population. Every month or so, I have to remove some of the chaeto as it becomes overgrown.

A few weeks back I started using GFO in an effort to keep some algae in the DT away. I ended up lowering the phospates to zero with my low range hanna checker. My chaeto is shrinking and my regium is ultra clear right now. It's usually full of chaeto and other algae gunk. If you keep too low of nutrients or use an alternative nutrient transport method you may not have enough nutrients to keep your chaeto growing.

I've removed the GFO and usually only use some BRS Rox Carbon here and there. I'll let the phosphate level increase and I bet my chaeto takes off again.

I use carbon in the reactor, should I turn it off?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is fine to run. Do not remove it.
What you have a a loose ball. It will either fall apart over the next week or so or it will become a bigger ball. If it falls apart and does not grow then it can be some of the things mentioned above. Low nutrients. Not enough light or the wrong spectrum. It will need to adapt to your tank. Just like any transplant. It needs some time. Golf ball size in not very big, It is prob cuttings that did not grow into an interwoven ball. So nothing to hold the shape.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my fuge and put chaeto in and it fell apart, is it suppose to do that?
Not sure what others experiences are, but I found caulerpa better for new tank and then switched to chaeto after it was established. My chaeto just withered away for the first 6 minths of my tank, though never “fell apart.”

Seems like @randyBRS ran into this with their ULM series too, where chaeto just didn’t work in a new tank?

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what others experiences are, but I found caulerpa better for new tank and then switched to chaeto after it was established. My chaeto just withered away for the first 6 minths of my tank, though never “fell apart.”

Seems like @randyBRS ran into this with their ULM series too, where chaeto just didn’t work in a new tank?

Thanks for the feedback. Our tank has been up and running for a year and a half. If this doesn’t work out for chaeto, will try the caulerpa.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the next day, it’s still a loose ball I guess.
as long as it's still green perhaps it's just expanding to fill the container. And will "tighten up" as it runs out of room.

What light did you use? I like the red/blue led spot lights from ebay.

my .02

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
caulerpa has more going sexual problems then chaeto.

Did you use a local source like local hoppiests for the chaeto?

Always best. less shipping stress.

my .02

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as it's still green perhaps it's just expanding to fill the container. And will "tighten up" as it runs out of room.

What light did you use? I like the red/blue led spot lights from ebay.

my .02

I got these
de9ecad3d4e9d4483431282958756156.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back