Starting an all hitchhiker nano tank - the idea phase!

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for pointers, questions, etc:

So strangely probably the most enjoyable time my wife and I had with the tank was after the live rock was in but before we added anything else and we marveled at the explosion of life within the tank. Now I love what my tank has become but the population of hitchhikers has changed. I think my six line wrasse had a bit to do with that! There's still good biodiversity but I haven't seen a bristleworm in several weeks and stomatellas? Forget it. Maintaining any kind of -pod in there? Out of the question.
But I miss these guys and I want them back. My tank is an AIO and until I move I am not interested in setting up a sump as part of the system. So I'm going to make what is sort of like a stand-alone refugium, I guess! If, as I hope I do, I am able to propagate a bunch of useful hitchers that could be put to use in my DT I will transfer some over. If it becomes an aiptasia hell, well, that's just what was meant to happen.

Planned equipment:

Tank: I'm thinking 5.5g tank, maybe 10. Higher volume is better but space is at a premium as well. Whatever I get, I would like something with at least a partial glass cover to reduce evap.

HOB filter - vacillating between Seachem Tidal and the Aquaclear. Considering possibly doing both and using one as a HOB cryptic fuge, just to see what happens if anything. I would need to modify whichever one I use as the fuge to ensure it's lightproof. If I do both, probably have one on a side and one on the back. I don't think I would filter very aggressively, probably just tossing a pantyhose filled with carbon in there.

Heater - eh, something cheap. Probably go with Eheim.

Light - this guy? Just set into a desk lamp with a simple timer to go on and off

Stand - ah, therein lies the rub! We have a real paucity of horizontal spaces in our apartment, I was considering buying something like this, although I see each shelf is only rated to 73 pounds which is.. not great: If I DID get something with a wire rack I would look into a foam mat to lay down on top, then set the tank on that. But I may just look for a cheap little floor cabinet somewhere.

Stocking:

Well, with hitchhikers. But how? First thing is I intend to use some of the sand and rock from my established tank. I have a ton of worms and asterina and they are welcome to join the party. I also intend on going to the three separate LFS's that are close to my house and making some small live rock purchases.

I need to place a refresher order for CUC from Reefcleaners.org and when I do, it sounds like his chaeto has a bunch of pods in it. Hopefully some other stuff too. I'll email him before I make the purchase and see what he thinks. I don't consider adding chaeto or even extra pods to be cheating.

IPSF's live sand activator sounds really good too but I'm just not sure I want enough stuff from them to make the purchase worth it.

GARF.org also seems promising in terms of providing biodiversity. I will probably reach out to her too and at least have a discussion.

The platinum standard for live rock sounds like Tampa Bay Saltwater but I don't think it would be worth it to make a purchase from them for about 2 pounds of LR, especially not if I would have to drive to the airport!

Ideally, this tank idea captures the imagination of some of my fellow forum members here and if so perhaps they can reach out to me and sell me some LR rubble. I want a ton of biodiversity with all sorts of creatures.

Maintenance:

I change my water weekly on my DT which IS filtered pretty aggressively. I am thinking I can use the discard water from my DT for water changes on this guy. Hopefully so, that would save me a lot of money.

Topoffs will be handled manually with RODI.

Unsure on how to handle feeding, probably intermittently toss in some reef roids and/or phyto. My assumption is most of these things can handle a little dirtier water than my corals and bigger inverts can.

If something really unusual pops up (mantis shrimp, etc) I will modify my goals for the tank accordingly. Happy to cater to an interesting oddball.

So what do you all think? Solid seeming plan?

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if it's a fishless system the bio load should be very very minimal. I would personally just consider running a 10 gallon or 20 long with no substrate, just live rock and filtered with an air powered sponge filter like the good old days. At that point you can just throw some macro algae in there and let it mount to the rock.

This kind of setup is cheap, easy to setup and easy to tear down if you decide you want to do something else. As for the light, I would just run a fuge style light on it that's more of the 6500k range that's idea for plant life. Between the macros, liverock and sponge filter you'd be set and not risking the lives of the pods with impellers. Once the tank cycle is complete you could totally seed it with Reef Nutrition pod bottles and/or jars of pods from Algae Barn.

Last edited:

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Substrate tends to be the catch-all of organic matter. Unless it's a deep sandbed (which would take up too much space in a tank this size) you'd be better off vacuuming substrate to keep nitrates in check in the long run. If the tank is bare bottom, you can target cleanings easier with a weekly vacuuming of the tank floor.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.6%
Back