Starting kalkwasser

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read threads all over about kalkwasser. I just have a few questions

My calcium and alk uptake is low. I use roughly 50 calcium over a two week period. And .2 dkh over the same period. My pH always runs right around 8. My bird'snest and Monti are new but I think they are starting to consume the calcium and alk. According to calculator I'm aiming for 439 calcium currently 430. And my dkh is 10.4 and balance with 439 is 10.9 dkh. My confusion is this..
For my calcium it says I need 1.5 gallons of fully saturated kalk to raise the calcium and .5 gallons to raise alk. So my wonder is where should I start? I'm thinking about using .5 teaspoon per 2 gallons in my 10 gallon ato tank. So 2.5 teaspoon per 10 g. I'm afraid to raise alk through the roof. My pH could use the buffer. Would this be a good starting point?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use roughly 50 calcium over a two week period. And .2 dkh over the same period.

Something is wrong here. For every 2.8 dKh of alkalinity consumed, calcium drops by between 18 and 20 ppm. At a dKh consumption of 0.2, calcium consumption should be closer to 1.28 ppm, not 50 ppm.

Either this is a typo or your test kits are wrong.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is wrong here. For every 2.8 dKh of alkalinity consumed, calcium drops by between 18 and 20 ppm. At a dKh consumption of 0.2, calcium consumption should be closer to 1.28 ppm, not 50 ppm.

Either this is a typo or your test kits are wrong.
Yes this is definitely a little concerning. I have been using red sea test that I preform the same but it definitely can be test error. I will check my calcium and alk in a few this is my testing time but I test Wednesday weekly. So I'll see if I get anything different from yesterday.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also .2 dKh of all consumption over two weeks seems low. And a 50ppm change in Ca isn’t necessarily an exact reflection of water chemistry.

Did you have any water changes in that two week period? Your numbers seem close to stable, and water changes could be the explanation. Not a bad thing at all.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok re did my test. I def butchered yesterday's idk how. I just need to get hanna and call it a day. Alk is 10.9 and calcium is 490 so I'm definitely holding off on kalkwasser for the time being. I was excited for the ph buff but I would overdose using kalk. Sticking to water changes for now.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also .2 dKh of all consumption over two weeks seems low. And a 50ppm change in Ca isn’t necessarily an exact reflection of water chemistry.

Did you have any water changes in that two week period? Your numbers seem close to stable, and water changes could be the explanation. Not a bad thing at all.
And yes did water change Friday. Do 30g every other week on Friday test on Wednesday but missed last week's test. But everything is in line with what it has been. I have had elevated cal and alk from the start. Thanks for making me retest before I overdose the tank. Man the ph boost would have been nice lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back