Starting my first aquarium ever! A 15 gallon tank

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start my very first aquarium ever. I would like to thank this forum for helping me choose my equipment and get me started! Now I would like to give back and show you guys how I go about creating my first tank. I will try my best to bring you through the ups and downs to help future beginner reefers that possibly run into similar obstacles. Here it is...just ordered all my equipment should be here between October 8-13th.
6phRsFs.jpg

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice. love seeing people jump straight to salt. people who did freshwater before tend to carry over bad habits, whereas starting off in salt you start off without those bad habits. best of luck to ya.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yea saltwater seem more intriguing than freshwater and more of a challenge. Haha, that brings me to a funny story...The day I got the tank I guess I was just so psyched I was going to start my tank soon that I had nightmares of adding water without any of the rocks or sand in the tank. I kept on waking up in the night...it was a little scary.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice. love seeing people jump straight to salt. people who did freshwater before tend to carry over bad habits, whereas starting off in salt you start off without those bad habits. best of luck to ya.
Well, I started with freshwater, but spending so much time on here and reading up I should be good.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man my nightmares generally consist of put saltwater fish in freshwater...not really sure where they come from as I've never had a freshwater tank to put them into. That said I'm very grateful that most of my reef dreams aren't nightmares. Unfortunately, a lot of times in them I see things that either don't exist or that I can't afford or want in my tank (last night it was some crazy wierd starfish)... Good luck on the build, can't wait to see it come together :)

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking forward to your progress! My main tank is in the basement, but I'm thinking of placing a smaller one upstairs!

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man my nightmares generally consist of put saltwater fish in freshwater...not really sure where they come from as I've never had a freshwater tank to put them into. That said I'm very grateful that most of my reef dreams aren't nightmares. Unfortunately, a lot of times in them I see things that either don't exist or that I can't afford or want in my tank (last night it was some crazy wierd starfish)... Good luck on the build, can't wait to see it come together :)
Good to know I am not the only one having nightmares haha...its actually really scary cause your all groggy when you wake up and you think you actually did it.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! This morning I woke from a dream in which I had another tank with a clown fish and small blue tang that were literally coated in ich and I was kinda freaking out about how to get them out of the tank without messing up all the rock work and coral.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I guess we are just lucky we don't wake up in panic mode and run over to our aquarium in our groggy state just to do something more stupid.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it's a good thing actually as it makes sure we check on aquarium first thing. One morning I woke up to find my aquarium was 69 degrees, was very glad I checked before it got any colder >.<

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true...I don't even have an aquarium yet but I was planning on checking the aquarium every morning.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a good plan, you should be sure to check the temp. Surprisingly even when my temp was 69 none of my corals or fish were showing any signs of stress. Also Heaters are really stupid.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back